Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,373   Online: 797

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm not a complete fool ya know, I've changed an entire engine out of my 2000 Saab 9-5 Sedan once, in my home garage, I know a few things about cars, and I've changed more than one starter, so I'm sorry I got the info wrong, I've never disassembled a starter before. My info was good enough to help, you could have just explained it better without totally being like WRONG you don't know ANYTHING.

Anyway. Yea, PanFS....
    I have a 2000 9-5 sedan. I think Lucas reared it's sooty horned head here too. It's got this orange relay-shaped light failure sensor I think Lucas made. I've had to take it apart and resolder it twice, as it has had cold solder joints or solder pads that weren't sturdy enough for the wiring. When this screws up, lights go out, just like something of British automotive legend.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ah, cameras, film, and SAABs. I have a 1984 900S (355,000 miles) and a 2006 9-3 Sport Sedan. I get false bulb failure notices every once in a while on the 9-3. Take out the bulb, check w/ohmmeter, tests good. Put bulb back in, it works. Go figure!
    Slight, invisible corrosion might be the culprit.

I'm sorry if this way off topic.

I look forward to putting some Ilford in my 4x5 Graflex RB Series B...

Micah in NC

Sent from my IRULU-AL101 using Tapatalk 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    I have 2 starter motors stories...

Years ago we had a hand-me-down Datsun 1200 (Sunny for the yanks I think). '72 model or there abouts. It's starter motor used to stop and the 'bang with hammer' trick would work for a little while, then it needed to be removed and the bushes cleaned. This usually occured as I was going to work in the morning... After a bit of practice I used to be able to remove it (2 wires, 2 bolts), dissassemble and clean the amarture and brushes, reassemble, and reinstall in about 10mins still in my suit and tie!

My current 'toy' car has 4-1 exhaust header pipes that go past the starter (350 Chev) and cause it to heat up so that it won't start unless it's been sitting for an hour or 2 and has cooled down sufficiently. Pain in the bum, but as the car only comes out of the shed once a year I haven't fixed it yet! I bought and tried to fit a 'lightweight hi-torque' starter but when fitted, it actually sticks out further than the std one and you can't do up the bellhousing bolts tight due to the exhaust pipes in the way! One day I'll get around to replacing the pipes for some 4-2-1's fit the good starter and be happy!
    Hah! My 1983 Datsun 280ZX, Red 2 seater w/ black custom leather interior, T-Top in the garage...

Sadly, the clutch is gone, I've been thinking of selling it since I hardly drive it, thought maybe I could get a new CPP3 and 4x5 expert drum and also pay off my credit card with the car sale, it's one of the few without body rot.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    There you go. I think Stoner film would be a hit with a certain demographic.
    Wouldn't be very ME, I've never smoked, not once, (green stuff I mean) I do occasionally have a cigar (once a year) but that's it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by graflexboy View Post
    Ah, cameras, film, and SAABs. I have a 1984 900S (355,000 miles) and a 2006 9-3 Sport Sedan. I get false bulb failure notices every once in a while on the 9-3. Take out the bulb, check w/ohmmeter, tests good. Put bulb back in, it works. Go figure!
    Slight, invisible corrosion might be the culprit.

I'm sorry if this way off topic.

I look forward to putting some Ilford in my 4x5 Graflex RB Series B...

Micah in NC

Sent from my IRULU-AL101 using Tapatalk 2
    My 3rd center break light goes in and out and I get that light bulb out issue when that happens.

My trunk light won't come on either and it makes me crazy because I can never see in there, and I can't trace the wires to any problem....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I vaguely recall the Morris Minor fuel pump. Wasn't it a diaphragm design, operated by solenoid which occasionally could 'stick' at some point in it's movement? A judicious light tap with a nylon mallet could free it. The pump body was made of zinc (or a zinc alloy) so a large bang with a steel hammer might crack it . . . That car had an engine bay designed for a wide flat-four engine, but fitted with a slim inline-four pointed vertically instead. Lots of room to work on those machines
    Spot on.

Apologies to all for being (partially) guilty for taking this thread way OT.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Sadly, the clutch is gone
    Maybe one of the teeth on the gears of your clutch has broken off and is jamming it?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Maybe one of the teeth on the gears of your clutch has broken off and is jamming it?
    Hahahaha probably....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I have an Austin 1300 GT (British Leyland)
    In working order? If so - Excellent!

As for edge markings, that would be a complicated thing to add as the film is nade in a large size then guillotined and stacked (with protective paper between? I can't remember). In order to edge mark it, it would need to be separated out, exposed and stacked again.

Really not worth the bother.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    Is this something a "remote solenoid" might fix? Or am I thinking Fords?
    no idea. I really should pull the current starter apart and see if a clean/brush adjustment makes it any better. I generally only take the car out once a year on New Years day so not something I'm desperate to fix

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin