Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,532   Online: 1034

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    In working order? If so - Excellent!

As for edge markings, that would be a complicated thing to add as the film is nade in a large size then guillotined and stacked (with protective paper between? I can't remember). In order to edge mark it, it would need to be separated out, exposed and stacked again.

Really not worth the bother.

Steve.
    Well I disagree with this part, kodak and Fuji seem to have no issues doing it, I'm sure it's imprinted at the same time it's notch codes are put in, and no, there's no paper separating the sheets on Fuji, Ilford, or Kodak.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No paper certainly makes it easier but I suspect that Ilford add the notches to a stack of film rather than individually.

If Ilford were to do it, it's just an extra stage which would translate to extra cost which would have to be paid for by us.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    no idea. I really should pull the current starter apart and see if a clean/brush adjustment makes it any better. I generally only take the car out once a year on New Years day so not something I'm desperate to fix
    Only once a year? This better not be a classic you're neglecting.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Firstly, It was me who took this very 'off topic' so I apologise.

In finishing sheet film, you cut the lengths off the the parent roll, so for 10 x 8 sheet you cut an 8" block x the parent roll length ( say 1,500 linear metres ), and other widths off the same parent rolls at the same time obviously, that block is then 'chopped' in a separate ( automated ) process into the 10" dimension ( and at the same time the notches are put in ). I would imagine ( but do not know for sure ) the edge signing would be done when its in the 8" x 1,500m state as an optical in line process from the big slitter. We have no such in line optical exposing device, we have never had one for sheet, nor would we believe we have any real customer value in adding one. So obviously if we did it, which we could, the cost would need to be passed on in a higher product cost...do not want to do that, do not think the customer needs it either.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

We have no such

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    So obviously if we did it, which we could, the cost would need to be passed on in a higher product cost...do not want to do that, do not think the customer needs it either.

Good, no thank you.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Firstly, It was me who took this very 'off topic' so I apologise.

In finishing sheet film, you cut the lengths off the the parent roll, so for 10 x 8 sheet you cut an 8" block x the parent roll length ( say 1,500 linear metres ), and other widths off the same parent rolls at the same time obviously, that block is then 'chopped' in a separate ( automated ) process into the 10" dimension ( and at the same time the notches are put in ). I would imagine ( but do not know for sure ) the edge signing would be done when its in the 8" x 1,500m state as an optical in line process from the big slitter. We have no such in line optical exposing device, we have never had one for sheet, nor would we believe we have any real customer value in adding one. So obviously if we did it, which we could, the cost would need to be passed on in a higher product cost...do not want to do that, do not think the customer needs it either.

We have no such
    Simon you're so polite.

I enjoyed the off topic talk and you have nothing to apologize for.

As far as I'm concerned the moment you posted saying it wouldn't happen, was the moment the issue was closed and the fun of posting silly off topic comments was perfectly fine and welcome.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    you cut an 8" block x the parent roll length ( say 1,500 linear metres ), ....that block is then 'chopped' in a separate ( automated ) process into the 10" dimension ( and at the same time the notches are put in ).
    The edge of the 8 inch by zillions of feet roll being "endorsed" would be the traditional way to mare it. You could also have a bright LED light source that would Flash monumentally when the cutter -notcher made the cut. That would allow the marking to be placed beside the notch. It might be convenient to expose the mark through the back of the film. a small opening could be ground into the cutting blade to to so.

BUT since the consensus is it is not a good idea....

I will say that I do occasionally see portraits that Fred Lum does for the Globe and Mail, he often uses a sheet of film with the makers name at the edge of the image to get a bit more eye capture effect. (sometimes sheet film and other times 120) so I can see where having the branding might be useful to some, and would remind folks that Illford is around and does make film. OTOH I can also see folks objecting to the "free Advertising effect"

One thing I would not want would be the branding that was on the Illford 35mm Cine film. That had both footage numbers and "Illford Safety Film" printed every foot with the writing reading correctly from the EMULSION side. (It did make sense for a film editor to have the numbers reading right from that side., but misusing it for stills the writing is backwards on the proof sheets. I still have a few feet of Pan-F marked that way in my fridge from a close out 200ft roll I bought year and years ago)
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned that the notch codes can be "read" in total darkness. This was probably their original intent. They can also be used, again in total darkness, to determine which side of the film is the emulsion side. So they are really more useful than edge markings.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-11-2014 at 11:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned that the notch codes can be "read" in total darkness.
    Badbadbad
    This is not a practical thread way off topic…
    hehehe
    But in a similar vein photogs who had six or more identical blad backs would nail file an additional notch in each so they could tell which back a film with eg a light leak or bad frame space came from... don't everyone do that with dark slides/film holders?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Badbadbad
    This is not a practical thread way off topic…
    hehehe
    But in a similar vein photogs who had six or more identical blad backs would nail file an additional notch in each so they could tell which back a film with eg a light leak or bad frame space came from... don't everyone do that with dark slides/film holders?
    I had a couple of 4x5 holders that were a little wonky. I threw the worst one away, but put the other one (unmarked) back into circulation. I kind of like that John Cage randomness - knowing I'm in control of a lot of things... just not everything. (and I still get interesting prints from it, though sometimes I have to crop.)
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin