Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,695   Online: 754

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    …memorize a gazillion notch codes, nor remember 5 years ago which film he was using when looking through the "archives" but also that it would be good advertising for Ilford to have their name on their own sheet film. Especially with many people posting the whole frame of the film (including the holder indented exposure) on the web to "prove" it's film, Simon?
    Just you wait until you are a few aeons older and your memory goes.
    Ilford have cut back on glossy.
    Do you want to pay more or less?
    The way the UK copyright laws seem to be changing no one is going to post any images anyway.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    If you print B&W film, you know of Ilford in the US, since Kodak hasn't made B&W paper for quite a while, and good B&W paper for even longer than that.

"Made in England" isn't a good thing unless you're talking beer and booze or Ilford film/paper. Many of us have heard all too many stories/jokes of British Leyland / BMC / Lucas electronics.

I don't mask most of my alt process prints. I just slap the negative down, make sure it's right side up, aligned, and expose a print. The handmade nature of it is why I do it. If I wanted a perfectly neat alt process print, I'd fake it in photoshop.
    I don't print, never have, someday hopefully, but I've been shooting film for 20 years, always sent out my KODAK as a kid to the local lab (Walgreens).

To the other poster who asked of markings on film would change things, YES.
    You have to remember, that film isn't just about us the people who already know about it, keeping film alive is about getting new blood into the system, that means attracting the attention of younger people, you can't do that the same way that you got attracted to film because it's a different environment now, kids don't get their information from advertisements about film in magazines. The only place they would even see anything about film at all, would be either in some urban outfitters store by Lomography, or through images on Instagram (like twitter but with pictures only, if you don't know what twitter is, imagine JUST the Facebook "wall" and JUST pictures, if you don't know what that is, you probably won't believe me anyway). So in order to get new people using film in general you have to make sure that the people posting know what you're posting, if you post a contact print looking image, it says Kodak or Fuji, people are familiar with these names, because they sell other products Fujis sells all types of digital cameras amd other electronics and Kodak sells printers and cameras and there's a lot of it around in the local stores here in America, and they sponsored the Olympics for years, and you see that bright yellow and red sign in Times Square, but you don't really see a ilford brand anywhere else but film.

So if you're really new to film, you wouldn't really recognize it in anyway, this is what I'm talking about, but if you start seeing lots of images of scanned or contact printed sheet film with the words Ilford on it, it starts to sink in to a new generation.

It's a strange world out there....
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with the "no edge markings, please" crowd. I want to reserve my right to do contact process stuff as well as enlarger print. I'm also not as bad about trying anything and everything that's out there with 4x5. With 120 and 35mm it's more important 'cause I might look at a neg from 10 years ago and not be able to tell what it was if not for the edge markings. But in 4x5, I use just two (and might someday add a third) and can easily look up which is which. I shot a sheet or two that did have edge markings when I was first starting out and it annoyed me to have that distracting element in a cyanotype.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Guess the alt process crowd wins... *sigh*
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dammit Stone, why don't you make a useful request, like asking Kodak to get rid of the gloss on the TMax emulsions!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    ...Many of us have heard all too many stories/jokes of...Lucas electronics...
    My favorite:

"Why do the English drink warm beer?"
    "Because they have Lucas refrigerators!"

Guess the alt process crowd wins... *sigh*
    No, we all "win." HARMAN doesn't need to expend effort/funds adding a sheet film edge marking machine (capital expense) or add time / energy / production time / maintenance to its manufacturing recurring costs for no reason. The notch codes uniquely identify each film type. Edge printing adds nothing. On roll film, edge printing is usually necessary to identify film type, so it's worthwhile there.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...No, we all "win." HARMAN doesn't need to expend effort/funds adding a sheet film edge marking machine (capital expense) or add time / energy / production time / maintenance to its manufacturing recurring costs for no reason. The notch codes uniquely identify each film type. Edge printing adds nothing. On roll film, edge printing is usually necessary to identify film type, so it's worthwhile there.
    Old school thinking...

Penny Wise, pound foolish, perpetual and relatively free advertising is never a waste of money...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Dammit Stone, why don't you make a useful request, like asking Kodak to get rid of the gloss on the TMax emulsions!
    Haha it doesn't bother me? Why don't you like it? I PREFER the non gloss, but only aesthetically does it bug me.

If you don't like it you should buy into my special 4x5 order of Eastman Double-X, kodak said yes (for a price) and we are 18 boxes away from production.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If alt-process would really win, then Kodak would not put a UV blocking layer into their tmax100 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haha it doesn't bother me? Why don't you like it? I PREFER the non gloss, but only aesthetically does it bug me.

If you don't like it you should buy into my special 4x5 order of Eastman Double-X, kodak said yes (for a price) and we are 18 boxes away from production.
    Yeah, no thanks.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin