Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,960   Online: 1023

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I don't think this would work, especially for snobs like me who still stretch their own canvases.

Here's a thought, Stone: If you buy some Ilford printing paper you get stickers with it. You can put those stickers on your negatives.
    Oh goodie, stickers! Can I stick them on the pictures when I do a good job?!! Oh I hope I earn a sticker this week!!! :-p
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Do you still have that wheel? I need 2 more
    tin snips

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Old school thinking...
    Like shooting with film in 2014? Or, even more "old school," shooting large format in 2014?

Thank you. I take that as a high compliment. Most "new" things are fads that will fade rather quickly. Things that have stood the test of time are the few which didn't fade. Running a "tight ship" business the way HARMAN does, quite successfully, is one of those "old school" things.

...perpetual and relatively free advertising is never a waste of money...
    Nobody except the person that bought the film would see edge printing. Anyone wanting to promote the Ilford brand on Facebook, Instagram, etc. can easily paste in a logo as pseudo edge printing. I'll wager that HARMAN wouldn't object. In any case, what one sees on a monitor has no chance of conveying the superiority of silver halide, so those who print (silver or alternative processes) are the only ones who might be able to convert the unwashed. They should "win."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Like shooting with film in 2014? Or, even more "old school," shooting large format in 2014?

Thank you. I take that as a high compliment. Most "new" things are fads that will fade rather quickly. Things that have stood the test of time are the few which didn't fade. Running a "tight ship" business the way HARMAN does, quite successfully, is one of those "old school" things.

Nobody except the person that bought the film would see edge printing. Anyone wanting to promote the Ilford brand on Facebook, Instagram, etc. can easily paste in a logo as pseudo edge printing. I'll wager that HARMAN wouldn't object. In any case, what one sees on a monitor has no chance of conveying the superiority of silver halide, so those who print (silver or alternative processes) are the only ones who might be able to convert the unwashed. They should "win."
    Haha!

I'm old school too, in fact bad enough, that even though I use a hybrid process (scanning) that I have no idea how to add a logo onto it in PS. I don't even use PS, though I was convinced by a fellow photographer who's in school now that I HAD to have it... It's been about a year + and only used it once to remove spots, until I discovered I could do that in Adobe Lightroom (a dummies version of photoshop that acts more like a darkroom tool).
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some people prefer lenses that give swirly out of focus areas, others like total neutral, clean rendition or lenses that have some character that can be tamed on wish.

It often bothers me when I see an artwork with the bold FABRIANO logo pressed in the paper. While it might look cool at first, after some time these markings could get tiring, just like the edges of many alt-process work that show the brushstrokes.

I like to print 6x6 negatives full-frame and I'm OK with the edge markings, but I never felt a special attachment towards them.

I think printing allows us strong enough self-expression that there is no need for edge-printing.

For many, LF is a good part about contact printing, and I'm happier if my film carries no pre-exposed markings. The behaviour of materials depends so much on the way we treat them anyway, the film's type alone carries only partial (at best) information.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Stone, if I understand correctly, you're asserting that Ilford should put edge markings on sheet film because it would be free advertising for them on instagram (and other visually oriented social networking places on the www)?

Is this accurate?

This implies that Kodak and Fuji are tons of free advertising....from all those folks who post full frame film scans on the http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/www...but wait...how many folks post full frame as a proportion of all folks posting film scans or print scans ? I see lots and lots of 35mm film scans of flickr...and almost none show the sprocket holes (even though, I guess that's cool). Point is, even if there were edge markings, it would not really make any significant difference from an advertising and marketing point of view. (besides, why not add tags ? See my flickr stream for examples)

Why is it our (the customers') responsibility to also run a marketing campaign for our film stock suppliers? Shouldn't Kodak and Ilford do their own marketing?

While I agree that film manufactures (all of them) are missing opportunities to market film and traditional materials to the next generation of film users, I really do not agree that we, the customers, should fill that role. And, I completely disagree with the idea that edge markings are an effective means of advertising.
    Last edited by BradS; 01-08-2014 at 05:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Stone, if I understand correctly, you're asserting that Ilford should put edge markings on sheet film because it would be free advertising for them on instagram (and other visually oriented social networking places on the www)?

Is this accurate?

This implies that Kodak and Fuji are tons of free advertising....from all those folks who post full frame film scans on the http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/www...but wait...how many folks post full frame as a proportion of all folks posting film scans or print scans ? I see lots and lots of 35mm film scans of flickr...and almost none show the sprocket holes (even though, I guess that's cool). Point is, even if there were edge markings, it would not really make any significant difference from an advertising and marketing point of view. (besides, why not add tags ? See my flickr stream for examples)

Why is it our (the customers') responsibility to also run a marketing campaign for our film stock suppliers? Shouldn't Kodak and Ilford do their own marketing?

While I agree that film manufactures (all of them) are missing opportunities to market film and traditional materials to the next generation of film users, I really do not agree that we, the customers, should fill that role. And, I completely disagree with the idea that edge markings are an effective means of advertising.
    It's not that I think it's the only reason, I still think it's easier for me when I flip through my pages I can just see "Fuji Acros100" and "Kodak TMY-2" it's just easier, and when the two major players do it, and you don't, many would confuse that for lesser quality, or lesser capability, like FOMA100 and FP4+ and HP5+ look identical side by side in my print file pages and if I show others, all they see is Fuji and Kodak.

I'm also not saying Instagram is the only game in town, just that it's another outlet. It's kind of like, by the time you know about it, it's old news, like universities who think that writing a blog will get them anywhere, even twitter is "old news" the game is changing and the pace is faster, and you need any trick you can find to catch someone's eye long enough to slow them down a little.

Anyway the post is mute, the point is made, no markings is more important for "options" than it is for easy identification. But maybe instead of a notch code, they should cut pit a a capital I for ilford and then FP4+ falling off the edge, would be mostly clear, but easier than a bunch of cut out semi-circles.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Another resounding "I hope they never do!!!!!!!" I have been tempted to scrap off the Fuji Acros markings on my sheet film
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Stone, someday...over beers, maybe you can explain this need/desire to identify the film used while viewing the image. Does it really matter, when looking at a print, if it was TMY or FP4+ in the camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyway the post is mute, the point is made, no markings is more important for "options" than it is for easy identification. But maybe instead of a notch code, they should cut pit a a capital I for ilford and then FP4+ falling off the edge, would be mostly clear, but easier than a bunch of cut out semi-circles.
    Jeez, it's not "mute", it's "moo".

Joey: If he doesn't like you, then this is all just a moo point.
    Rachel: Huh. A moo point?
    Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion, you know, it just doesn't matter. It's "moo".
    I hope that helps.

Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin