Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,828   Online: 1110

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Stone, someday...over beers, maybe you can explain this need/desire to identify the film used while viewing the image. Does it really matter, when looking at a print, if it was TMY or FP4+ in the camera?
    Ha. He's got quite a few things to explain over beers.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No problem for those who post online - just scan the negative and add the edge text with photosh**

They do that with digital all the time - adding sprocket holes in post processing .

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Well as I said it's more about helping ilford and making a "cool" image for posting online then for identification, and I'm getting better at remembering the codes. But to a novice it's a deterrent, and forget that old mentality of "if you can't make it, don't bother" with that attitude not enough new blood will make it to film.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    No problem for those who post online - just scan the negative and add the edge text with photosh**

They do that with digital all the time - adding sprocket holes in post processing .
    I can't add text, what makes you think I could add something advanced like sprocket holes... Lol

I don't even understand the whole "layers" thing...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Ha. He's got quite a few things to explain over beers.
    As long as it doesn't start or end with "taking it outside" I'm more than happy to join, but would prefer a nice red wine... Hah
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Will Ilford Sheet Film ever get edge markings?

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Stone, someday...over beers, maybe you can explain this need/desire to identify the film used while viewing the image. Does it really matter, when looking at a print, if it was TMY or FP4+ in the camera?
    I think it has to do with my process, since I don't print, to me the type of film is really important as I notice differences between them in my scans.

In fact, some film that scans well, doesn't print as well, and some film that prints well, scans horribly. So I've read from people who do both...

Maybe when I start printing I'll start asking about what grade things were done on or something, hopefully someday I'll get past it.

Still would like to get ilford on the edge, I like them and want to show younger "folk" the English ways... Haha

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fine-tip Sharpie. Add whatever edge marking you'd like.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Do you still have that [number exposing] wheel? I need 2 more
    Alternative you can saw/mill proprietory marks in the lower edge of the filmholder.
    Less versatile than a wheel, but the markings will be off the image field.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Alternative you can saw/mill proprietóry marks in the lower edge of the filmholder.
    Less versatile than a whell, but the markings will off the image field.
    It's about identifying which sheet was which number, I keep a log, but don't tray process so keeping track of which sheet is which out of the 6 is easier if the film is imprinted with the darn number.

Not just which holder it came from.

Unless I'm missing your explanation.

Can they be "changed out"? I have a BAD grafmatic but with a good wheel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    stone. just make an embosser that says whatever it is you want it to say.
    ypu can emboss your film to have your name/logo or your film type.
    stationary stores make them ... or make an overlay and print or scan with it over/ under
    your film.. if the manufacturers dont make the edge name
    make your own .. a sharpie or pencil will work too ..
    besides there are thousands of people who use fake edge markings and notchcodes on their scans
    hate to say this but it tends to get trite/pathetic fast seeing "ilford fp4 and fake notchcodes on a color image ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stone, you are perfecrtly right.
    As I said with that number wheel you are flexible. With those markings at the holder edge you only can relate the film to that very holder. Though you can give that holder a number too. And that holder edge marking can be a number too. Though hardly a arabic figure.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin