Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,466   Online: 757

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    As long as it doesn't start or end with "taking it outside" I'm more than happy to join, but would prefer a nice red wine... Hah
    Ya only need to take it outside if you wanna smoke.

Red wine? We have the best red wine in the world out here in California ....and wine doesn't like to travel...so, I'm thinking it would be best if you came out to the left coast. When can you be here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian Grant, add Thermapen to your list of world class products, since purchasing one, my cooking has improved out of taste, according to myself that is, slightly better according to the missus.

I too would not like any advertising stuff on Ilford's sheet film. If in neg holders, a glance on the light box and the grain size tells me if it's FP4+ or HP5+.

I have a couple of, shall we say tired, 4x5 holders, the film can and does drop to one side if used in landscape mode leaving about 0.5mm of unexposed film, any writing on the film would intrude into the image. I know it's highly unlikely I would enlarge without a minimum of cropping but sometimes I like a contact sheet of 4x5 films so much, I do another immediately and use these for prints.

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All, I cannot ever envisage a need to edge sign sheet film, the benefit to some would be outweighed by the inconvenience to others. As always, any suggestions or ideas are always welcome but this is a 'if it ain't broke don't fix it moment' . I was though fairly taken aback by the impuning of the Lucus Company in this thread ! Who cannot have enjoyed the melodic and reassuring constant ticking of your Lucas fuel pump in your 60's or 70' British built car... And tell me how mNy car components today can you fix with a flamboyant blow with a hammer and impress your passengers no end. Note to readers, if anyone has bought a 'classic' British car of this period and you found a hammer in the boot...it's not unusual at all.... Simon Ilford Photo / Harman technology

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear All, I cannot ever envisage a need to edge sign sheet film, the benefit to some would be outweighed by the inconvenience to others. As always, any suggestions or ideas are always welcome but this is a 'if it ain't broke don't fix it moment' . I was though fairly taken aback by the impuning of the Lucus Company in this thread ! Who cannot have enjoyed the melodic and reassuring constant ticking of your Lucas fuel pump in your 60's or 70' British built car... And tell me how mNy car components today can you fix with a flamboyant blow with a hammer and impress your passengers no end. Note to readers, if anyone has bought a 'classic' British car of this period and you found a hammer in the boot...it's not unusual at all.... Simon Ilford Photo / Harman technology
    A toffee hammer please! Nothing too brutal...

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the subject of film markings the last box of 8x10 FP4+ I used the notches were *barely there. Shallow notches at the extreme edge. None at all would be problematic or at least inconvenient. A kiss of death for some.

*Barely There is also the name of a lipstick.

Barely There is a sheen nude peach, team with shades from the Au Naturel palette for a muted look or go for bold with Blush by 3 in Pumpkin on cheeks.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Had to chuckle - back in college, when I first dated my now husband, Ken had a 1971 Plymouth GTX. It would frequently not start and he'd get out and hit something under the hood with a hammer and it would start right up. So it's not just British cars! We still have this car and it starts and runs much better now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    flamboyant blow with a hammer and impress your passengers no end
    Cant resist.

Back in the day when I was much, much younger, I worked in a (back street) car garage as a trainee mechanic come dogsbody, and one of my jobs was to go out with our landrover (which, incidentally had a nice winch on the back but was otherwise a right old dog, that had been left under the tide at least twice to my knowledge, trying to tow boats off the beach, and was actually three wheel drive because at one time it had broken a half shaft and rather than get a new one, the diff had been welded up) to any breakdowns.

This was in the day of Vauxhall Vivas, Cortinas and Morris Minors. The (lucas) fuel pump on the Morris is under the bonnet on the bulkhead, and sure enough this little old lady (really) had broken down and a quick check showed no fuel, so with a quick blow from the largest rubber mallet I had (after waving it around so she clearly saw what it was) I sent her on her way after a quick hit under the bonnet. I have always wondered what tale she told people after that.

Oh, and BTW, I still have a '72 MG Midget, that has a fuel pump that sticks occasionally............
    Last edited by mr rusty; 01-09-2014 at 10:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dear All, I cannot ever envisage a need to edge sign sheet film, the benefit to some would be outweighed by the inconvenience to others. Simon Ilford Photo / Harman technology
    Excellent news! And thanks for the anecdote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ..... And tell me how mNy car components today can you fix with a flamboyant blow with a hammer and impress your passengers no end.
    I think you are confusing British auto mechanics with British dentistry!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Who cannot have enjoyed the melodic and reassuring constant ticking of your Lucas fuel pump in your 60's or 70' British built car... And tell me how mNy car components today can you fix with a flamboyant blow with a hammer and impress your passengers no end. Note to readers, if anyone has bought a 'classic' British car of this period and you found a hammer in the boot...it's not unusual at all.... Simon Ilford Photo / Harman technology
    Hence the expression, "bigger problem, bigger hammer"?
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin