Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,297   Online: 911

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brushes allow electrical contact to the armature, to create a magnetic field via electromagnetic coils on the armature. You can't connect with wires, as the unit spins - under spring tension/force keep in contact with the correct spots on the armature. The magnetic field in the armature coils "interacts" (keeping it simple) with the stationary field coils around the armature; the armature spins.

The gears (with teeth) on the armature allow the motor to spin the flywheel.
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm
    I vaguely recall the Morris Minor fuel pump. Wasn't it a diaphragm design, operated by solenoid which occasionally could 'stick' at some point in it's movement? A judicious light tap with a nylon mallet could free it. The pump body was made of zinc (or a zinc alloy) so a large bang with a steel hammer might crack it . . . That car had an engine bay designed for a wide flat-four engine, but fitted with a slim inline-four pointed vertically instead. Lots of room to work on those machines

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'm sorry guys, my step dad told me this 16 years ago (I was 15) maybe he didn't know or maybe he simplified it or maybe I forgot and re-invented it, who friggin cares, the point is you can knock it with a wrench and make it work again (temporarily).

I'm not a complete fool ya know, I've changed an entire engine out of my 2000 Saab 9-5 Sedan once, in my home garage, I know a few things about cars, and I've changed more than one starter, so I'm sorry I got the info wrong, I've never disassembled a starter before. My info was good enough to help, you could have just explained it better without totally being like WRONG you don't know ANYTHING.

I think sometimes things come across wrong on forums and it's not intentional on any one side, just things get "heard" wrong.

Anyway. Yea, PanFS....
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tone often gets lost on forums and email. Humor too. Keep dreaming that they're going to name a film after you though!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Tone often gets lost on forums and email. Humor too. Keep dreaming that they're going to name a film after you though!
    if I can ever get enough money together I can study and learn from Ron how to coat my own film and then sell PanStone film

Or is StonePan more catchy? StonePan-X maybe?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 2 starter motors stories...

Years ago we had a hand-me-down Datsun 1200 (Sunny for the yanks I think). '72 model or there abouts. It's starter motor used to stop and the 'bang with hammer' trick would work for a little while, then it needed to be removed and the bushes cleaned. This usually occured as I was going to work in the morning... After a bit of practice I used to be able to remove it (2 wires, 2 bolts), dissassemble and clean the amarture and brushes, reassemble, and reinstall in about 10mins still in my suit and tie!

My current 'toy' car has 4-1 exhaust header pipes that go past the starter (350 Chev) and cause it to heat up so that it won't start unless it's been sitting for an hour or 2 and has cooled down sufficiently. Pain in the bum, but as the car only comes out of the shed once a year I haven't fixed it yet! I bought and tried to fit a 'lightweight hi-torque' starter but when fitted, it actually sticks out further than the std one and you can't do up the bellhousing bolts tight due to the exhaust pipes in the way! One day I'll get around to replacing the pipes for some 4-2-1's fit the good starter and be happy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    if I can ever get enough money together I can study and learn from Ron how to coat my own film and then sell PanStone film

Or is StonePan more catchy? StonePan-X maybe?
    There you go. I think Stoner film would be a hit with a certain demographic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe you can get kodak to print "you just blew $6, SUCKER!" for edge markings on the special run of double x.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    Maybe you can get kodak to print "you just blew $6, SUCKER!" for edge markings on the special run of double x.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    My current 'toy' car has 4-1 exhaust header pipes that go past the starter (350 Chev) and cause it to heat up so that it won't start unless it's been sitting for an hour or 2 and has cooled down sufficiently.
    Is this something a "remote solenoid" might fix? Or am I thinking Fords?
    Truzi

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin