Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,897   Posts: 1,521,015   Online: 799

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Will Ilford Sheet Film ever get edge markings?

An APUG member recently posted a full scan of a beautiful transparency made by fuji, I didn't have to try and discern the notch code, because it says plainly "FUJI" on the edge markings. All my Fuji has that, so do my Kodak sheet film, but my favorite company is Ilford, yet they don't have any edge markings on their sheet film, not only is it helpful to the user who doesn't want to memorize a gazillion notch codes, nor remember 5 years ago which film he was using when looking through the "archives" but also that it would be good advertising for Ilford to have their name on their own sheet film. Especially with many people posting the whole frame of the film (including the holder indented exposure) on the web to "prove" it's film, there's an interest in this kind of thing on places like Instagram, Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter, etc etc, to have the film info in the image itself.

I did search and found no info on why this is so. Does anyone know? Will they ever do it?

I did find a thread about Ilford acquiring an edge marking machine from 2008, but it was just about how Ilford should write funny sayings on their film like "Oh good you didn't mess up this exposure" or "Man I wish I had been born an 8x10 sheet of film" and/or batch number info or expiry date info etc, but not specifically about sheet film edge markings. Simon?

Thanks!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope not.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd rather not have edge markings. Sometimes it's nice to do a alt process print "full bleed" style which requires the edges of the film in the print. Kodak's not too obtrusive with their 4x5, but none would be better.

I've settled on using two films in LF so I think I can handle two notch codes.

As you've suggested, better advertising would be fake film borders that say Ilford. They could probably prop up some freebie app store / itunes photo apps with name placement in film borders.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Afraid I prefer not.

I don't have any problem with my archives - if necessary I just check the negative number against my negative log, where the film type is recorded. But it's hardly ever necessary: probably > 90% of the sheet film I've ever used is HP5 Plus. And when I contact print and choose to display the picture with full margins, I'd just as soon it not be an advertisement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I hope not.

Ian
    I also hope not!!! Film positioning in the holder can sometimes push markings into the image area and for contact printers those markings can be a major distraction in black print margins.

It's simple enough to write in the margins after the fact if you so desire. A search here will yield suggestions of various pens and such.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hmmm, I hadn't thought of the alt process stuff, or contact, but I've never seen the markings get into the picture, even using my Grafmatic holders. They could keep it next to the notch codes where you would be masking anyway couldn't they?

As long as they didn't face it backward or anything it would be pleasing to see (to me) and show my Ilford pride, I don't like advertising products I don't want to advertise so I get that. But of all things film needs our support, and before I got heavily into film, I had never even heard of Ilford... I knew about Kodak and Fuji from the grocery store, but never saw Ilford, and then at first when I saw some in the "local" film shop (the only one in the state that's a real lab/photo equipment store) I saw "Made in England" and was like... ewww not sure I want that, it's not Kodak, is it any good? and the clerk said it was the only 50ASA film they had, I wanted to use this kodak folder I had gotten at a yard sale, and after some googling figured out that to follow the right exposures on the front (shade, sunny etc) I needed a slow film to match the film at the time, which was 25-50ASA film, so that's what I asked for, I reluctantly took it, not knowing I had stumbled upon the best film of all! PanF+!!! But anyway, my point is, if you're just starting out, you've probably never heard of Ilford if you live in the USA, at least around me there's only one store that sells Ilford in my entire state!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    ...and edge markings on sheet film would change that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you print B&W film, you know of Ilford in the US, since Kodak hasn't made B&W paper for quite a while, and good B&W paper for even longer than that.

"Made in England" isn't a good thing unless you're talking beer and booze or Ilford film/paper. Many of us have heard all too many stories/jokes of British Leyland / BMC / Lucas electronics.

I don't mask most of my alt process prints. I just slap the negative down, make sure it's right side up, aligned, and expose a print. The handmade nature of it is why I do it. If I wanted a perfectly neat alt process print, I'd fake it in photoshop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I remember a time at a country pub in England where the locals sneered at us for drinking local beer. They were much more sophisticated than that... prefering to drink "Import" beer: Bud and Coors.

Re: edge markings on sheet film... why mess with tradition? There are only a few films left anyway; a far cry from the "gazillions" of notch codes feard in earlier posts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    "Made in England" isn't a good thing unless you're talking beer and booze or Ilford film/paper. Many of us have heard all too many stories/jokes of British Leyland / BMC / Lucas electronics.
    I have an Austin 1300 GT (British Leyland), British cameras- a Houghton Duchess, Ensign 820, MPP Microcord plus many others reflex and field. All excellent products we make the best in the world here inc Ilford products

Ian

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin