Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,763   Posts: 1,484,033   Online: 1272

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

10+ years old fixer does work

Hi all,

I would like to report that a sealed Ilford Rapid Fixer over 10 years old works perfectly. I have just fixed a test strip from a 120 film, at 1+4. Fixed within the indicated times.

I had a 1 liter bottle of this fixer lying around from the time I was a teen, and was into 35mm B&W photography. My best guess is that it was purchased either in 2000 or 2001. I am absolutely sure it cannot be less than 10 years old.

It as stored in the dark and in relatively cold place for all this time. Usually sub 18ºC temperatures and 28ºC + for 1 month per year.

The bottle contained crystals, light yellow in appearance. This did not dissolve in water.

That's all.

I also have multigrade and ilfosol developers from that time. A small stop bath bottle as well.

Cheers.

Joao

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    10 year old fixer may work, but 10 year old developer is a bit more dodgy.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think air doesn't ruin fixer like developer. Correct me if I'm wrong. What exhaust fixer is unexposed silver. I don't know if this is a myth, but fixer can last a long time if the silver is pulled out of it.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    10 year old fixer may work, but 10 year old developer is a bit more dodgy.
    Unless you use powder, of course. I had some Kodak DK50 in 2011 that was from the 1970s, and it worked fine (obviously). Right now I'm using some D76 from the 1980s, and that works just like the new stuff you buy today.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What usually happens to fixer is sulfurization. It eventually happens to any acid fixer solution. It is evidenced as in the OP observation as yellow crystals or precipitate. This reduces the capacity of the fixer and the precipitate can adhere to the emulsion. As has been noted many times on APUG fixer is cheap but film is expensive. When in doubt toss it out.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I had some Kodak DK50 in 2011 that was from the 1970s, and it worked fine (obviously). Right now I'm using some D76 from the 1980s, and that works just like the new stuff you buy today.
    I have a case of DK50 in cans surplus from WWII. The military denoted it as Air Force Developer No. 2. Still very much OK. Still wish they packaged developer in cans. APAIK only the Acufine developers (Diafine ...) are still supplied in this manner.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-08-2014 at 03:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Unless you use powder, of course. I had some Kodak DK50 in 2011 that was from the 1970s, and it worked fine (obviously). Right now I'm using some D76 from the 1980s, and that works just like the new stuff you buy today.
    Another data point: some years ago, a large local camera store was downsizing and sold off all its darkroom inventory. I picked up an ancient, rusty 5 gal can of Dektol powder. I immediately separated it into a number of small glass Mason jars. The developer works fine, if I'm printing fast enough. If the stuff sits in the open jar for a couple of weeks, it turns quite brown and I toss it without trial. Unopened jars maintain their original color (more or less, I suppose).

Charley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've read, on APUG, that fixer that has been precipitating sulphur, as in OP's case, could be dangerous to film, even if, technically, it still worked. I believe elemental sulphur could end up adhering to emulsion, ruining it later. I think it may have been PE who mentioned this. Since reading that, I wouldn't use out of date fixer.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just fixed the entire film. Came out perfect.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've always tossed fix based on the (I now realize ridiculously short) recommendations on the bottle, but recently learned it can last for years. But I only use it if I've done a clearing test and its clear and smells as new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin