Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,167   Online: 772

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Removing dust from negs? Ilford Antistatic Cloth? Kinetronics Brush? Blower?

I need to pick up a few toys for removing dust after I accidentally spit on a negative blowing on it...

What works best and what order should I use them in? I was told not to touch the negative too much, so wouldn't wiping a negative with a cloth or brushing it off scratch the neg?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a few brushes. A large 10" Kinetronics and some smaller ones of various manufacture. Best is to not let any dust get on the negative. Other than that there is no a single 'best' solution to the problem. I have never tried a cloth, but I wouldn't be surprised if modern microfiber cloth is easier on a negative than bristles of an antistatic brush.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My order of cleaning: Fine mist sprayer of water with a drop or two of PhotoFlo in the air to settle dust. Blower. Kinetronics brush. Blower. Study under side lighting. If blowing and dust won't remove something, I will try a push with a folder corner of the Ilford cloth. If it's a bad day and the dust just keeps flying back in, I will hold a piece of the Ilford cloth on one palm and wipe the negative across it from above. Then blow. It actually does help.

Well, all of this is for scanning, so the final step is Photoshop's healing brush. Few other pieces of technology have changed my life as drastically as that tool!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The best thing to do would be to put about ten ml of Photoflo in about one litre of water and dip it thoroughly in that. Maybe give it a very gentle wipe with your fingers. Then hang it to dry.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have a handful of those hold anti-static brushes that used radioactive americium, or something like that. Probably long dead, but they produce dustless prints after just a gentle swipe.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Grounding the enlarger is always a good idea. Can't hurt, as it may reduce its ability to generate a static charge that attracts dust in the first place.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Rinse the negative in distiller water. When drying negative rolls I avoid fotoflow. A distilled water rinse works better. No touching the negs.

Avoid low humidity when enlarging....do not pull negs from a plastic sleeve creating a charge. Use an enlarger that resists dust migrating on top of the the neg after insertion of the carrier.

The LPL 7700 works well in this regard as does the Leitz 1c.
    RJ

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Just depends on how serious you want to get about this. All the advice above is valid, but basically a Stone Age approach to the problem.
    There are probably quite a few more extensive discussions on past threads somewhere. Or just pull up a site or look at a catalog from any
    clean room supply co, like those that serve the circuit board industry. Then identify the sources of lint and dust in your darkroom - where they
    are actually coming from. Something as simple as a cotton shirt can give you hell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one in my darkroom and it works great.
    http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900...s=photo+blower

Don't used canned air. It's expensive and not good for the environment.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the hair dryer for my wife. Works!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin