Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,842   Posts: 1,582,633   Online: 1052

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I never tried to spool roll film on in a changing bag. I always felt hat would too constricting. You need more room than a bag affords. Take your stuff to the privy. Block the edges of the door. Then turn out the lights. Wait a few minutes for your eyes to adjust and then block that one little light leak you missed. Then sit on the hopper and spool on your film out in the open. You'll find it both easier and safer for the film re: scratches. And welcome to the dark side.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by senorverde View Post
    Shake, look for undissolved powder and repeat if necessary.
    just a little sidenote:
    It is not ideal to shake a container to dissolve developer powder. Better is to use a proper tool for stirring or just let the container sit
    for several hours and wait. The reason is that shaking will introduce a lot of oxygen into the solution and might lead/contribute to
    premature failure of the developer.
    In all the years I have once experienced problems with a premature failure of Xtol and it was
    the one time that I was in a hurry and shook the container vigorously to speed things up ... D76 might be more robust
    in that regard than Xtol, but for a beginner it is still better to learn proper procedures right from the start.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by senorverde View Post
    Printing isn't as difficult as developing, in fact, it's more fun.
    Well, can't argue with the second part of that sentence. But with developing, one can at least follow directions to the tee. With printing, one has to make many more decisions and use discretion - lots of places where things can go wrong for the novice. I would say that doing your first printing under the guidance of an experienced printer, that is also a good teacher, can make a huge difference in enjoyment of the art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have frozen ID-11/D76 to preserve it for longer. I am not sure whether it has the intended effect, but noticed that after thawing, the metol had precipitated from solution. I then re-heated it in a bucket of warm water, and got everything dissolved again in a while, maybe half an hour. I don't think one can really stuff up the developer, but generally it is advised to dissolve a little bit of the sulphite first (in the case of ID-11 which is split, or if you make a home-made version), then the metol, then the rest of the sulphite. Once the solution is loaded with sulphite, it is much harder to get the last metol dissolved. Temperature is about all that helps. Excessive temperature causes degradation of the developer. 40-50 deg C is good enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't let this discourage you. Learn from your mistakes and move on to the fun world of the darkroom. Most important, read the safety instructions on how to handle chemicals.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikimanojlovic View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'll post latter tonight whether I had success or not. As of now, it looks like it's dissolving
    I invested ina magnetic stirrerand can highly recommend it. it also came with an adjustable heating plate;makes mixing chemicals a lot easier and simpler
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikimanojlovic View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'll post latter tonight whether I had success or not. As of now, it looks like it's dissolving
    I invested ina magnetic stirrerand can highly recommend it. it also came with an adjustable heating plate;makes mixing chemicals a lot easier and simpler

I feel like a real chemist now.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal
    hc 110
    tmax
    all come in a bottle. just add water.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin