Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,928   Posts: 1,556,825   Online: 890

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Novice mistake mixing chemicals

After many years contemplating to start developing my own film, I finally equipped my darkroom and bought the first batch of chemicals. And of course made a dumb mistake tonight! I got everything ready: canisters, chemicals measuring tools, etc. Started mixing the developer (d-76) and after a few minutes noticed that the powder is not dissolving. The problem is I followed the instructions to the letter! After scratching my head for a minute I realized that I followed wrong instructions! You see, if you don't pay attention, Kodak fixer bag looks very similar to Kodak D-76 bag. I mixed d-76 with cold water instead of hot! Right now I'm trying to bring the temp up to 50C. I hope it dissolves, because I'm very eager to develop that first film!

Shooter
    Large Format
    You'll be OK most likely.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If not, lesson learned and hope you have more. But, doggone, you are in for some fun right about now. Good onya.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'll post latter tonight whether I had success or not. As of now, it looks like it's dissolving

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, just keep at it. If you still have some that simply will not dissolve, make sure it does not get to the film. Good luck. Wow, I remember this. Cool.

Shooter
    35mm
    After you are done re-heating and dissolving, pass it through a coffee filter. that will keep it pure. it will be fine and it will develop. There will be many more mistakes... I started a year ago and I have my share.... :-) but that't the fun of it, even the biggest mistakes will uncover something new and will teach you something else you didnt know.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Do not filter with coffee filter or anything else. Wait till tomorrow if it won't all dissolve tonight. It'll dissolve, although Dektol is the worst about getting it to all dissolve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think we've all been there. Assuming these are in plastic jugs, fill your tub or a large container with the hottest water your tap can produce and just sit the container in it for several minutes. Shake, look for undissolved powder and repeat if necessary. When I was mixing Ultrafine's generic D76 powder I too didn't get my water up to temp and had quite a lot of undissolved power.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Thank you all for the advice and encouragement! Developer finally dissolved. I put the 1 galon plastic bottle in a 5 galon bucket and filled with hot water, and the temp eventually got up. After a few other mistakes and lots of clumsiness I managed to develop the film! My first! Got a few scratches while trying to put the film on the reel in a changing bag have to learn how to do it better.
    Well, at least I finally started developing, and it's gonna be a fun journey.
    Next to enlarging and printing, but that's gonna be another day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikimanojlovic View Post
    Thank you all for the advice and encouragement! Developer finally dissolved. I put the 1 galon plastic bottle in a 5 galon bucket and filled with hot water, and the temp eventually got up. After a few other mistakes and lots of clumsiness I managed to develop the film! My first! Got a few scratches while trying to put the film on the reel in a changing bag have to learn how to do it better.
    Well, at least I finally started developing, and it's gonna be a fun journey.
    Next to enlarging and printing, but that's gonna be another day.
    I actually had a smile on my face when I read this. We've all been there, and you're certainly not going to be the last! It took me a good dozen rolls of film to actually get it on the reel and even then my first strip only rendered two usable frames (120 format). Glad to see that you had success with everything. Printing isn't as difficult as developing, in fact, it's more fun. Tell us how you get on and if you have any problems, you know which forum to visit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin