Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,431   Online: 825

Shooter
    Multi Format

need help with deveping times for XTOL replenished

I read the many threads on XTOL replenishment and thought i would give it a try. It sounds like i will get the results I'm after. but the question i kept coming up with is once the developer is seasoned, what are the appropriate developing times. I have the kodak fact sheet and it lists a few time, but most are in whole steps from box speed.

So what can i use a good starting point for the seasoned stuff? Someone said around the 1+2 dilution. But I wanted to get some advice from those of you with experience. I could always do it mathematically, extrapolating the time differences between kodak's stock and replenished times, but who wants to play around with excell?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by destroya View Post
    I read the many threads on XTOL replenishment and thought i would give it a try. It sounds like i will get the results I'm after. but the question i kept coming up with is once the developer is seasoned, what are the appropriate developing times. I have the kodak fact sheet and it lists a few time, but most are in whole steps from box speed.

So what can i use a good starting point for the seasoned stuff? Someone said around the 1+2 dilution. But I wanted to get some advice from those of you with experience. I could always do it mathematically, extrapolating the time differences between kodak's stock and replenished times, but who wants to play around with excell?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

john
    I have used replenished Xtol for about five years, and the 1+2 recommendation is a good one. Of course there are individual differences in how we shoot and process, which means adjustments have to be made to get the contrast you want in your negatives.

Good luck!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Which film? Kodak's J-109 document gives times for replenished for all Kodak, Ilford, and Fuji b+w films.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot Panf, fp4, tri-x, ultrafine X-treme 100 and rollei retro 80s in 35mm. in 120 I shoot tmax 100 and 400 acros and tri-x 400.

I found times for most but the kodak sheet shows box speed as the slowest and i shoot below box on almost all of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by destroya View Post
    I shoot Panf, fp4, tri-x, ultrafine X-treme 100 and rollei retro 80s in 35mm. in 120 I shoot tmax 100 and 400 acros and tri-x 400.

I found times for most but the kodak sheet shows box speed as the slowest and i shoot below box on almost all of them.
    You still must have a hunch roughly how much you compensate based on past experience?!
    If not, you must test anyway to optimize the process for how you shoot. I guess that's the problem with using so many films, though. Tough to fully learn any of them fully and how they respond to development adjustments.
    It took me a couple of hundred rolls of TMax 400 in order to really learn how it works with Xtol.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I usually start with +20% initially and adjust from there.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin