Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,161   Online: 763

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Best disposal method

Hi,

I just had a brief chat with my local hazardous waste facility about bringing in my used chemicals. So I finally got it down to where I can bring 30 gallons a day, which will maybe be my yearly dump. But anyway, my intention was to just mix all the chems forward, meaning a 5 gallon pail with have developer, stop, and fixer. They do not take the fixer for silver recover, all of it gets incinerated. Is there any other reason not to just mix it all? The way I understand it, is mixing it all will give the most neutral PH in the end. Is this correct?

Thanks

Joel

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Is there any reason not to mix it?"
    Depends on the facility and the further processing. In Europe each group of photochemical waste has its own waste-code and is to be delivered apart.
    Have another chat with that facility and inquire on what they prefer.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'd keep them separate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no further processing. It gets trucked to a site to be incinerated. They had no preference. My consideration is if they were to have a spill, would one way be less hazardous than the other? Or does it really not matter.?

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    "Is there any reason not to mix it?"
    Depends on the facility and the further processing. In Europe each group of photochemical waste has its own waste-code and is to be delivered apart.
    Have another chat with that facility and inquire on what they prefer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The developer and stop can be dumped down the drain with no ill effect. The fix can be left out to evaporate in a bucket.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In some parts of the world this is illegal.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    why dont you find out from your local authorities what you can and can not do ..
    you can get your rinse and spent fixer below 5 parts/ million ..
    it doesnt cost as much as. waste hauler would charge...
    and you wont be polluting your ground water or fouling your septic or your towns wastewater plant

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is a bit cryptic. I guess jnanian is refering to desilveing fixer oneself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    why dont you find out from your local authorities what you can and can not do ..
    you can get your rinse and spent fixer below 5 parts/ million ..
    it doesnt cost as much as. waste hauler would charge...
    and you wont be polluting your ground water or fouling your septic or your towns wastewater plant
    John (jnanian) is quite passionate about this - to the extent that he actually sells a small unit for removing silver from fixer, and pays to advertise it here.

His "Silver Magnet" is a very reasonable option. I am quite confident that his advice would be unchanged, even if he didn't sell the Silver Magnet.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately the local authorities find it easier to just say no rather than understand the issue. When I had a darkroom in the last city I lived in, I actually got to talk to one of the plant engineers who actually understood the process. He told me no issues with dumping developer down the drain and didn't have a problem with the quantity of fixer I would be dumping. After I moved I didn't start up a darkroom again but figured I'd just do film and scan. Now I'm on a septic system but figured I could save the spent chems and dump them at one of my daughters house. I called again to see if anything had changed. I explained what I was doing and kept getting the can't dump any chemicals answer. I tried to elaborate what some of the stuff was and still got the oh no, can't dump any of those. I figured I was talking to someone who really didn't know. My last question was, could I dump some sodium chloride down the drain. Want to guess what the answer was.

I have called some of the local labs and none would take spent fixer.

This is now mute as the local hazardous waste location will take them in the quantities I will bring. I'm just trying to decide which is the safest in terms of handling to take them, separate or all together ( my thinking is still that all together gives a more neutral mix ). If it doesn't really matter, it is more convenient to just mix them. Keeping things separate for silver recover is not a concern because they do not do that. I may look into doing it myself but haven't gotten there yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin