Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,892   Posts: 1,520,861   Online: 1189

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Awesomeness!!

I wish the offered 1 film pack and 1 pouch

Such is life, guess I'll have to pledge one of each...
    Sounds like a god plan to me
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pledged! Hope they are successful! Would love to try this film, and let my lonely 545 Polaroid back have a little fun again!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just pledged, though after reading the whole (very long) text, it seems like they need 400K (and for some reason are not counting the 9-12% KS and amazon cut off that) only to get the R&D off the ground, and not to actually go into production.
    "This Kickstarter project is not a pre-order initiative. It is an attempt to fund the manufacturing capacity and product design effort for a new photographic film."

I hate to be a naysayer - but there is no commercial paper working machinary imaginable at the cost basis they are talking about, let alone machines that can do the complex things they want it to (edge taping, folding, splice adhesive etc.,).

Seems like they are so very early in the R&D stage, this is yet another kickstarter that will get funded with mega bucks only to find after the fact it cannot possibly deliver the promised product for even twice the raised amount.

*** EDIT: Reading the risks and challenges gives all of the above concerens that this product is far from being ready for production anytime soon, let alone in 8 months.

I hope i am wrong - and my pledge is on good faith!

Good luck!
    Last edited by CatLABS; 03-24-2014 at 08:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Good that you realize this is hard, and risky. That's what we want.

As far as the machines you refer to, in-house there is to be an edge taper of our own design. There are no steps in this product that require folding or splicing - these have been eliminated. The coating of the receiver is the concern, and the substrate, as mentioned. Making a new receiver sheet isn't easy since Polaroid kept the process a secret even from their own people, so we do have to nearly start from scratch. Also there is a lot of information, not in our intentionally conservative description, that has been published on http://new55project.blogspot.com. We put in what we needed to, and even that, as you say, is quite long.

Much of what we make today is via contract. Paper will be converted and die cut and metal parts obtained from the vendors. There isn't much reason to purchase and install roll to roll machinery that only has to run for a week to make the yardage needed for the product. There are several toll coating operations looking for contracts who can do that, for a price. We plan to do assembly, and packaging, here, and have developed handy dark work chambers that have been successful, and can be duplicated.

Thank you for your pledge - the comments you make are right on but you missed one thing - the per sheet price - that is also a common and valid objection. We are trying this on Kickstarter because so many of the interested supporters have insisted on it. The reaction we get from this is very valuable and tells us about the viability, or not, of new large format materials.

Thanks for your support and obviously you know about edge tapers and commercial paper working machinery, I'd welcome your advice on specific aspect of them.

Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bob,

Good luck to you!

BTW - i have no objection to the per sheet cost, though i guess that might have also not been in the calculation.

Your overall expense seem to count an extra 40-50K$ that will not be there when finding is complete (the KS and AMAZON fees).
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've purchased a Polaroid 545 holder. I've pledged. I've mentioned it to a few others. And thus far my expectations have been thoroughly managed. At this point that's all I can do...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    Bob, Good luck to you! ... Your overall expense seem to count an extra 40-50K$ that will not be there when finding is complete (the KS and AMAZON fees).
    Not to worry, CatLABS; we've factored the project financing fees (along with the substantial shipping costs associated with fulfillment).

Thank you for sharing your concerns; and above all thank you for supporting New55 FILM with your pledge.

-Sam

project CEO
    new55project.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They've hit the 10% mark...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's $400,000 usd.
    Projected price of $15 a shot for 4x5 (I originally thought it would be 8x10).

I know times and nostalgia have changed since the fast rushing tide of digital conversion wiped out Polaroid.
    My thought (and that is all they are from this armchair economist that predicted Oldsmobile and Mercury needed to go and "Real Estate is disposable" about 10 years before it happened). ... I don't see many people actually stepping up and buying $150 boxes of 10 exposures. I see a bunch of "yes bring it on people" saying just that, but when the stuff hits the shelves, they will be hard pressed to buy this product even at fire sale prices of $60 for 10 a year past "expiration". I used 55, my reason for not using more is how flimsey the negative was, I ended up preferring a "meaty" standard base negative from Iflord and Kodak, That being said, I have been messing with MONOBATH and my large format cameras. Cheers, my opinion, I can buy a lot of HC110 and Adox for $30 or $150... and have a similar experience, because clearing and drying the 55 negative takes time too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    The world hasn't changed much, I'm still trying to figure out how I can send out some of my color to be processed and have it returned without offending someone..
    It is the laws, I understand art... and have processed other people's BW film... but I have to be VERY clear about nudity etc, because I HAVE A LOT TO LOOSE. And I don't think asking for birth certificates of the models is a line anyone really want's to cross, but in the end, I set my limits because I have a nice life, kids, house, etc...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin