Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,535   Posts: 1,645,875   Online: 1141

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They just now hit the 25% funded mark (US$100,000)...

Ken
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

— Edward Weston, Daybooks, Vol. II, February 2, 1932

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The latest Kickstarter update from CEO Sam Hiser is not positive. A very depressing read to start a Wednesday. Here's to hoping he is wrong and the necessary supporters arrive before the end of the campaign to save the day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by toro_mike View Post
    The latest Kickstarter update from CEO Sam Hiser is not positive. A very depressing read to start a Wednesday. Here's to hoping he is wrong and the necessary supporters arrive before the end of the campaign to save the day.
    Well, I was surprised to hear such abject pessimism from the project people themselves. I'm against the corporate BS that permeates most things these days but couldn't they have refrained from throwing in the towel for at least another week? These kind of statements tend to be self-fulfilling prophecies.

In an age where a BILLION people (rough estimate, but you get the picture) use the epic waste of time that's Facebook, hundreds of millions have the brain replacements called smartphones and tens of millions spend outrageous sums on sundry luxury electronics because they're status symbols we can't find a few thousand people to contributed to saving an entire format of B&W photography? FP-100B and FP-3000B are on the way out as well folks, it's this or nothing when it comes to large format instant film! Unless you want to pay 20$/shot (or whatever it is) for 8x10 Impossible film.

Now the other angle to take here may be that people want this kind of film but aren't convinced this particular project can deliver the goods, or deliver at the right price point.

Which is it? Option A? B? A bit of both?

I'm puzzled.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toro_mike View Post
    No, unless a sugar daddy steps in they're not going to make it. That's been apparent for a while. They are consistently just too far behind the pledge curve. And even if a sugar daddy materialized, that's not the fundamentally sound market they can use to move forward over the long term.

At this moment they are at 946 pledges for US$136,874. I know there are more than 946 4x5 photographers in the world. Harman wouldn't be cutting film for that format if that was all there were. But the trick is to reach them. About 3,000 is the publicly stated need. Heck, of the 65,655 at least one-time member sign-ons here, there's probably at least that many who own at least one 4x5 format camera.

But getting people to part with a little money in an act of faith is a really, really hard thing to do. The fact is, there are not many visionaries in the world. And even less that can see that quality in others. In this day and age it's the pragmatists that rule. That's one reason the world finds itself in the seemingly insoluable ruts that it does...

Ken
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think Type 55 is great and hope this project succeeds, but I don't think New 55 is viable at $15/sheet. If anyone could make this work, it would be Ilford. So if you don't see them swooping in and taking over New 55, it's probably not going to happen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe that perception of $15/sheet is part of the problem. That's only the price required to get the elephant to stand up and start walking. By the time he's able to run, he might be running at $6/sheet. But he can't run until he walks first. And he can't walk until he stands up first.

If I thought that the final end-game price was going to remain at $15, I'd never even have bothered to pledge. $150 for 10 sheets? I don't think so. But I honestly don't believe that would be the case. And at $6 I'd use it.

That's the visionary versus pragmatic thing I was referring to...

Ken

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Maybe that perception of $15/sheet is part of the problem. That's only the price required to get the elephant to stand up and start walking. By the time he's able to run, he might be running at $6/sheet. But he can't run until he walks first. And he can't walk until he stands up first.

If I thought that the final end-game price was going to remain at $15, I'd never even have bothered to pledge. $150 for 10 sheets? I don't think so. But I honestly don't believe that would be the case. And at $6 I'd use it.

Ken
    Perhaps they would have done better to create a 55 type 8x10? The infrastructure is already set by TIP and those shooters are willing to pay more? So just the emulsion and developer would need fine tuning, but the pod design and machining is already in place from TIP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post

Ken
    I've supported a number of KS projects, but this one set an unusually high bar for pragmatic reasons. I can't argue with Bob Crowley's reasoning, but it may not be the best strategy for KS. If you're pitching NEW 55 at $15/sheet, it sends a stronger message than speculation about a lower price. Most KS projects offer the final product at or below the final market price. The New 55 KS tests whether photographers are fanatical enough to pay $15/sheet today. If so, the project may be viable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    I've supported a number of KS projects, but this one set an unusually high bar for pragmatic reasons. I can't argue with Bob Crowley's reasoning, but it may not be the best strategy for KS. If you're pitching NEW 55 at $15/sheet, it sends a stronger message than speculation about a lower price. Most KS projects offer the final product at or below the final market price. The New 55 KS tests whether photographers are fanatical enough to pay $15/sheet today. If so, the project may be viable.
    Certainly can't argue with such pragmatic reasoning.

Interestingly, I pledged precisely because he laid out the apparently unvarnished facts. In my line of work it's almost impossible to find anyone willing to tell the honest truth about anything. You can ask someone what they had for lunch, and they'll pathologically lie about it. Finding someone who appears to be realistically leveling with us is unexpectedly refreshing.

Ken

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I haven't pledged anything yet because I haven't seen negatives from it that look to be consistent enough in quality for me to justify spending $6/sheet, let alone $15/sheet. If I saw images that looked more like old Type55 (or even a more standard Tmax or Tri-x negative) and less like sloppy wet plate work, I'd be there to help out. But why should I pay $15 a sheet for something that is no better than a wet plate pour when I can do 4x5 wet plate for a lot less per negative?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin