Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,533   Posts: 1,544,006   Online: 1038

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I haven't pledged anything yet because I haven't seen negatives from it that look to be consistent enough in quality for me to justify spending $6/sheet, let alone $15/sheet. If I saw images that looked more like old Type55 (or even a more standard Tmax or Tri-x negative) and less like sloppy wet plate work, I'd be there to help out. But why should I pay $15 a sheet for something that is no better than a wet plate pour when I can do 4x5 wet plate for a lot less per negative?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After having received that update I have to say that it is refreshing to hear someone lay out the facts and be bluntly honest. I would love to see the project succeed. I would love to be able to shoot a film where the picture is immediately available, as well as a negative. But, that doesn't seem to be the attraction to others that it was for myself. Unfortunately it does not appear the enough people are willing to commit the money upfront for this type of film.

It is sad but there seems to be a reason that these films went away. In our current digital world, where seeing the image immediately is so commonplace, I don't think people really see a reason for this type of film any longer. And certainly not at the price it will take to get it up and viable in the market again. Even $6 a sheet is expensive when you can sit your digital on top of your large format camera and see a reasonable facsimile of your proposed shot on the digital display screen.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I haven't pledged anything yet because I haven't seen negatives from it that look to be consistent enough in quality for me to justify spending $6/sheet, let alone $15/sheet. If I saw images that looked more like old Type55 (or even a more standard Tmax or Tri-x negative) and less like sloppy wet plate work, I'd be there to help out. But why should I pay $15 a sheet for something that is no better than a wet plate pour when I can do 4x5 wet plate for a lot less per negative?
    You shouldn't. Because it sounds as if your use case is definitely different from the New55 set of target cases. My potential use, street portraits in a 4x5 Crown, would be a different case entirely from yours. One more closely aligned with the New55 target model, I think.

It may all be moot, however. With the release of the new project update this morning there has been a burst of pledge activity, both new and upgrade. But I fear they are still way too far behind the curve. This KS project never really went viral in the way I think they were hoping it would. I'm still convinced that there are probably 3,000 interested parties out there. They just have not yet been reached. And likely won't be.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 04-16-2014 at 04:07 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Cut and paste misspelling...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    You shouldn't. Because it sounds as if your use case is definitely different from the New55 set of target cases. My potential use, street portraits in a 4x5 Crown, would be a different case entirely from yours. One more closely aligned with the New55 target model, I think.

It may all be moot, however. With the release of the new project update this morning there has been a burst of pledge activity, both new and upgrade. But I fear they are still way too far behind the curve. This KS project never really went viral in the way I think they were hoping it would. I'm still convinced that there are probably 3,000 interested parties out there. They just have not yet been reached. And likely won't be.

Ken
    Yea, the KS seemed short, is this a normal timeframe?

I was also surprised at the lack of social media used, and also, bad time of year, wait till mid-late summer people are still recovering from Christmas lol!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Yea, the KS seemed short, is this a normal timeframe?
    Actually I think that's a really relevant question. I don't know what the KS rules are for project timeframes, but it sure seems like only 43 days to raise US$400,000 isn't very long. I mean, that's US$9,300+ per day. That's a lot. Outside of the first week or so, I wonder if they've averaged that for even just a few individual single days at all.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Actually I think that's a really relevant question. I don't know what the KS rules are for project timeframes, but it sure seems like only 43 days to raise US$400,000 isn't very long. I mean, that's US$9,300+ per day. That's a lot. Outside of the first week or so, I wonder if they've averaged that for even just a few individual single days at all.

Ken
    There is a max time of 60 days, but KS urges all projects to be 30 days or less in an effort to impress "the urgency" of the project.
    43 days, is on the longer side of most project, and the stats show that the length of a project has nothing to do with it being funded, or that shorter project often get funded more. In any case the length is not the problem with this project.

The petzval lens project raised 1.2M$ in the same time frame, that makes for 30K$ or so a day on average....
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    There is a max time of 60 days, but KS urges all projects to be 30 days or less in an effort to impress "the urgency" of the project.
    43 days, is on the longer side of most project, and the stats show that the length of a project has nothing to do with it being funded, or that shorter project often get funded more. In any case the length is not the problem with this project.

The petzval lens project raised 1.2M$ in the same time frame, that makes for 30K$ or so a day on average....
    Social media reach...

They didn't do a very good job with the IMAGERY where was the video to awe us??
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Well then it's even more depressing than it appears. When he arrived in my mail that NOS Polaroid 545 holder was grinning from 'L' to 'P'. There was a swagger in his voice that was unmistakable. As if his endless patience was finally paying off.

Now he has trouble even getting out of bed each morning. I've considered a clinical dose of expired original 55 P/N, but fear that might only make things worse in the long run. I won't let him look at KS anymore.

I tried telling him that it's better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all. But I don't think he was listening.

Ken

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well then it's even more depressing than it appears. When he arrived in my mail that NOS Polaroid 545 holder was grinning from 'L' to 'P'. There was a swagger in his voice that was unmistakable. As if his endless patience was finally paying off.

Now he has trouble even getting out of bed each morning. I've considered a clinical dose of expired original 55 P/N, but fear that might only make things worse in the long run. I won't let him look at KS anymore.

I tried telling him that it's better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all. But I don't think he was listening.

Ken
    If you dident like the new55 at 15$ try getting it on ebay... your wallet will be offing it self sooner then that 545 for sure.

I see a New55 KS mark II in the future, with some lessons learned and a much more successful campaign. But - its not over until the fat lady sings.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

Then maybe KS isn't the right venue for this. Couldn't they set up something themselves with their own web site and promote through photography online media?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin