Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,061   Posts: 1,611,451   Online: 1085

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 711121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Can I inquire what you plan on doing by way of resellers [...snip...]
    Some resellers might sub you for exclusive market rights ...
    Noel, thank you for your question / idea. Resellers have been supportive of New55 FILM, and we're continuously in dialogue with them in all time-zones. We've considered offering retail "kits" at Kickstarter but the quantity limits there are a constraint. Some retailers have supported the project on an individual basis.

In general, retail distribution represents a challenge for a niche product like this. While there are benefits from the value-add of specialty retailers and zero shipping costs to customers, as well as convenient access to the local shop; we have to balance these factors with the retail margin gained back in a direct sale. A direct-only strategy is a distinct possibility because our market is so small. With a successful Kickstarter, hopefully we'll be able to evaluate these questions by testing retail distribution in full view of regular demand.

-Sam

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Nothing personal, Stone, but if I had a nickel for every time I heard that...
    HiBrian

You would be able to complete the kickstart funding?

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format

New55 FILM will probably succeed

Gentlemen (Ladies?) -

I'm more optimistic about New55 FILM's chance of success today than I was last week. That's because the community rallied strongly after that Sir-Alex-Ferguson Half-Time speech.

Something that's not visible to the public is the project dashboard and we've been more than encouraged by the willingness of backers to double- and triple-down their pledges -- like Ken. We've also had good social-media response and are getting fresh publicity to add to the early work we've done, which includes the article in the new issue of "View Camera" magazine. Also Asia traffic is continuing to improve -- even from places where we've made zero outreach (Singapore, Indonesia, India) -- and the Travelwide community seems to be supportive.

Also not public-facing is the little-known detail about all Kickstarter projects. The backing curve is the same shape for all projects: all have strong starts and strong finishes and very quiet middles. Longer project durations are discouraged because they are statistically less successful. New55 FILM's recent surge is quite unusual in this context. According to Kickstarter CEO Yancey Strickler, projects that reach 30% funding are successful 90% of the time.

Omer here (CatLab) is skeptical of the stats and I feel he's essentially correct; however the New55 FILM surge indicates the strength of the passion to get New55 FILM into production (among those people for whom it's relevant) and it indicates there are a lot of people on the sidelines preparing to back from whom we haven't heard yet. Also encouraging, the project will be making its Summit Approach now from about 60% rather than the earlier-trending 40%.

There's no getting over the high price. Even we couldn't. But there are reasons for hope.

-Sam
    Last edited by swhiser; 04-20-2014 at 05:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swhiser View Post
    Also not public-facing is the little-known detail about all Kickstarter projects. The backing curve is the same shape for all projects: all have strong starts and strong finishes and very quiet middles. Longer project durations are discouraged because they are statistically less successful. New55 FILM's recent surge is quite unusual in this context. According to Kickstarter CEO Yancey Strickler, projects that reach 30% funding are successful 90% of the time.
    Over what time frame?

That's crucial. Obviously, reaching 30% only an hour before the deadline on a $400,000 project does not bode well. And reaching 30% after only the first hour would bode pretty darned well. Maybe this explains where the other 10% live?

Has this project reached 30% early enough?

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 04-21-2014 at 12:02 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Flying -
    I'm not going to win you over. Your expression of concern indicates that you haven't read our Kickstarter page. There is no choice but the $75 entry-point. Your concern reflects a latent desire for the project to fail. Given our disposition of the facts, there's no other motivation to make the complaint.
    Respectfully,
    -Sam
    I NEVER said I want you to fail. In fact, I said I hope you succeed, quite explicitly. But I also said I couldn't see giving that kind of money based on the quality I saw in your Kickstarter page.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    [snip] I said I hope you succeed, quite explicitly. But I also said I couldn't see giving that kind of money based on the quality I saw in your Kickstarter page.
    No problem, Flying. It is a tall ask. Thanks for your attention.
    -Sam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree, I shopped with Calumet for 25 years. The sent a pretty nice "newletter" out. But they didn't talk about anything they didn't invent, market, or sell. I miss Calumet, never ever had an issue with their service, or products. Opps off topic.

Meant to reply with QUOTE about Lomography being a media outlet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    (snip)Many people simply aren't cut out for a sublime, elegant instant 4x5.

-Sam
    I guess I will get in the mud! I thought I was cut out for ^^ when Polaroid made the stuff. I hated the negative curl, the fragility of the negative on the perforated edge. They were so hard to get into the enlarger, stretched flat, and ready to print. Then there were the two sheets out of the box that failed to engage, in the envelope, or had a roller mark (I know user error).

I, and from what I have read, even Ansel Adams returned to non instant sheet film.

Ok.. now I have stepped in the mud.

Also I don't know how many of the people clamoring for the new stuff realize you only get one or the other, a negative or a print with the right range, not both! If you go for the negative, sure you get a print, but not one that I think a lot of these youngsters think. I know it is mentioned on the new 55 site, but only if you dig deep. I still have prints and negative (why would I throw them out?) from the OEM Polaroid stuff. It was cool, and pricy, but not entirely worth the sacrifice of having a durable flat negative to put in the enlarger. (the old 55 stuff fell through a standard 4x5 carrier, so it was glass or tape... I didn't like glass... for a number of more reasons, well 6!! Six surfaces to clean dust off of! It's hard enough to keep dust off the two surface of a negative without the glass carrier!
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 04-22-2014 at 11:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    Also I don't know how many of the people clamoring for the new stuff realize you only get one or the other, a negative or a print with the right range, not both! If you go for the negative, sure you get a print, but not one that I think a lot of these youngsters think. I know it is mentioned on the new 55 site, but only if you dig deep. I still have prints and negative (why would I throw them out?) from the OEM Polaroid stuff. It was cool, and pricy, but not entirely worth the sacrifice of having a durable flat negative to put in the enlarger. (the old 55 stuff fell through a standard 4x5 carrier, so it was glass or tape... I didn't like glass... for a number of more reasons, well 6!! Six surfaces to clean dust off of! It's hard enough to keep dust off the two surface of a negative without the glass carrier!
    From the new55 site -
    New55 FILM is an instant peel-apart 4×5 film that produces a superb negative, and a positive print too. Emerging from Bob Crowley’s skunkworks, New55 FILM improves on its precursor, Polaroid Type 55, in two notable ways:
    • less Polatrash (lower parts-count)
    • balanced exposure between the positive and the negative

ATTENTION: New55 FILM is NOT a duplication of the old 55. If the product ever ships, it will trade on its own characteristics.
    I can't speak to how it will fit in a negative carrier (yeah, that bugs me with the original stuff, too, but for different reasons 'cause I do use a glass carrier), but they do intend to put out a product that gives you a negative and a positive with the same exposure rating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Flying -
    I'm not going to win you over. Your expression of concern indicates that you haven't read our Kickstarter page. There is no choice but the $75 entry-point. Your concern reflects a latent desire for the project to fail. Given our disposition of the facts, there's no other motivation to make the complaint.
    Respectfully,
    -Sam
    I don't think it does. I think it reflects a desire to see it at a price he can afford.

It's like someone announcing they are bringing back Kodachrome and processing (yay!) but it will cost $150 per roll and $250 to process. The "yay" just doesn't last.

I understand the reasons it's to be so expensive, don't get me wrong. But there is some price at which, once it's that high, it's not going to be a viable product in the market. At some price I would buy and use it, and that price is probably higher than his $3, but it is definitely lower than $15. I'm not sure where that lies and it might depend on the use I have for it. For my own hobby use, not worth even $3 a sheet. But I do have an eventual project in mind for which it would be ideal and I could see $6 or even $10 per sheet being worth it. But I'm not sure I'll ever get that off the ground anyway. And so it goes.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin