Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,947   Posts: 1,557,852   Online: 795

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 131718192021222324 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Well I'll be damned...

This project was successfully funded 1 minute ago: $415,025

Ken
    You lucky guys... I'll have to wait till it's available for the rest of us....
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is an update on the project. Things are looking good:
    http://new55project.blogspot.nl/2014...er-update.html
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have about ten 4x5 Polaroid holders I haven't bothered to sell due to low demand and pitiful prices. I didn't have the heart to throw them away. Maybe in a couple years they'll be worth enough to sell because others threw theirs in the garbage and demand will rise like #405 holders did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen the 545 holders go for $50+, but found one at a swap meet type photo sale a month ago for $10.

That update looks good and looks like they're really working on all parts pretty hard. One question, if anyone knows - they mention they have sourced the film and that they're getting a decent deal, so people should use that vendor's 4x5 film more - but they don't say whose. Anyone know?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    545 is what I have, for all of €5 plus €20 shipping.
    Unfortunately, what I really want is a 545i, and they're pricier, both of those are caused by the fact that a 545 won't fit in a travelwide but a 545i will. I only use mine for readyloads, but I'd try out some new55 if and when I could find a subject worthy of the expense...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    One question, if anyone knows - they mention they have sourced the film and that they're getting a decent deal, so people should use that vendor's 4x5 film more - but they don't say whose. Anyone know?
    After his description of a strong preference for old-school emulsions for DTR, and how "unnerving" it was to lose their original favorite film from Efke, and his pleas for everyone to use more 4x5 film from the company involved, I could probably take a guess...

I paid ~$30 for my 545, if I remember. But it's a NOS unit still wrapped in the original plastic bag.

My only issue with a January first-release (if they actually make it, I get 20 sheets) is that roller processing outdoors is going to be ambient temperature dependent. I wonder how long I'll be needing to wait before peeling if it's, like, 20F/-7C outside...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After his description of a strong preference for old-school emulsions for DTR, and how "unnerving" it was to lose their original favorite film from Efke, and his pleas for everyone to use more 4x5 film from the company involved, I could probably take a guess...

I paid ~$30 for my 545, if I remember. But it's a NOS unit still wrapped in the original plastic bag.

My only issue with a January first-release (if they actually make it, I get 20 sheets) is that roller processing outdoors is going to be ambient temperature dependent. I wonder how long I'll be needing to wait before peeling if it's, like, 20F/-7C outside...
    Spare a thought for us down here, if it's 47C outside does that mean it will process in 3 seconds, or melt as it peels?

ps, not sure if the first question was rhetorical or not, as it may be answered a few pages back. But how are we to use more from the company involved if we don't know who they are? I'm guessing Tri-X, as it's an "old-school" of the oldest degree, but that's ISO320, did efke have a 400? (I've only ever used their 25 and 100).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Ken
    You can always pull the packet without processing it (hold down the button without flipping the lever and you can remove the packet with the chemical pods intact) and then run the processing when you get indoors to somewhere with a nice 70F-ish temperature. IIRC the original Polaroid Type 55 was not recommended below about 65F.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I've seen the 545 holders go for $50+, but found one at a swap meet type photo sale a month ago for $10.

That update looks good and looks like they're really working on all parts pretty hard. One question, if anyone knows - they mention they have sourced the film and that they're getting a decent deal, so people should use that vendor's 4x5 film more - but they don't say whose. Anyone know?
    They also said " It turns out that the more primitive emulsions work the best" and "The makers of these emulsions were not quite sure if they should be named in New55 because the performance of the film is very different in our system".

Note that they also said "makers" and "vendors" (plural). I'm sure they are testing with multiple vendors so as not to be dependent on the fortunes of a single critical supplier. So my assumption is Foma and Adox.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    They also said " It turns out that the more primitive emulsions work the best" and "The makers of these emulsions were not quite sure if they should be named in New55 because the performance of the film is very different in our system".

Note that they also said "makers" and "vendors" (plural). I'm sure they are testing with multiple vendors so as not to be dependent on the fortunes of a single critical supplier. So my assumption is Foma and Adox.
    Hmm, good points. Thanks!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin