Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,321   Posts: 1,536,874   Online: 1088

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Will the 545 holder fit into a Crown Graphic?

If so, where's this Kickstarter thingy so I can send some money??

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If a decent version of 55 comes back for a price of, say, less than a couple bucks a shot, I'll use some of it, maybe a LOT of it. I'll chip in to the Kickstarter too.

What, if any, is the difference between the 545 and 545i holders? Both seem cheap on the 'bay. I have the...whatever number it is, for the 3.25x4.25 but with the FP3000b being discontinued I'll soon not be able to get B&W for that either.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    OK, Stone. I've been meaning to do this after reading their site a while back...

I just now bought a NOS, unused, still-in-the-box-with-manual, 545 metal holder from that ugly auction site, for use next summer, or later, just in case it really, really does happen.

And if it doesn't, I suppose it'll make a pretty cool paperweight...

Ken
    Wait, YOU took MY advice?... Is the world ending?

Will the 545 holder fit into a Crown Graphic?

If so, where's this Kickstarter thingy so I can send some money??

Ken
    Wait, I know something you don't?... Lol

The 545's are graflex type so you can either slide them into the slot behind the GG or you can remove the back and use the slider locks to lock it down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    What, if any, is the difference between the 545 and 545i holders? Both seem cheap on the 'bay.
    I believe from my reading that the only difference is that the 545 is a metal earlier model, and the 545i is a plastic later model. Functionally they are said to be identical, if what I've read is correct.

If so, it would be another instance of the later models of something trying to hold on to the original price point, I think.

Oh, and I think they say on their FAQ that they are shooting for $6.00 per sheet at the beginning? I could do that, as I'm not real prolific. No motor buttons on a 4x5.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 01-23-2014 at 02:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Wait, YOU took MY advice?... Is the world ending?

Wait, I know something you don't?... Lol

The 545's are graflex type so you can either slide them into the slot behind the GG or you can remove the back and use the slider locks to lock it down.
    Shit, Stone. EVERYBODY knows LOTS more than I do. I have a pretty good idea where I fall on the bell curve. It ain't at the bottom. But it sure ain't near the top either. In any given room of 100 people I have a pretty good idea of how many can make me look like a fool. Remember what Dirty Harry said. I try hard not to forget that.

So the 545s are Graflok-capable backs? I've never used one. Or the original T55. Now that would be really cool. Street portraits with the Crown Graphic, handing over the print, after confirming you got what you wanted, as a thank you keepsake? Then walking away with an exposure-matched negative?

Strangers already love that camera. I usually don't even have to ask. They ask me first.

Do the negatives need to be immediately cleared? I read they're using fixer instead of sulfite. Something about sulfite being too hard to find? That sounded funny. The food processing industry uses oceans of that stuff, don't they?

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 01-23-2014 at 02:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    If a decent version of 55 comes back for a price of, say, less than a couple bucks a shot, I'll use some of it, maybe a LOT of it. I'll chip in to the Kickstarter too.
    They are saying the New 55 price will likely be between $6-12 a sheet when it is released. Pricey but less than what people are paying to roll the dice on eBay with expired Type 55.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So the earlier ones are preferable if in comparable condition, at least for durability, and the later ones maybe for weight. Got it, thanks.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Shit, Stone. EVERYBODY knows LOTS of things I don't. I have a pretty good idea where I fall on the bell curve. It ain't at the bottom. But it sure ain't at the top either. In any given room of 100 people I have a pretty good idea of how many can make me look like a fool. Remember what Dirty Harry said. I try hard not to forget that.

So the 545s are Graflok-capable backs? I've never used one. Or T55. Now that would be really cool. Street portraits with the Crown Graphic, handing over the print, after confirming you got what you wanted, as a thank you keepsake? Then walking away with an exposure-matched negative?

Strangers already love that camera. I usually don't even have to ask. They ask me first.

Do the negatives need to be immediately cleared? I read they're using fixer instead of sulfite. Something about sulfite being too hard to find? That sounded funny. The food processing industry uses oceans of that stuff, don't they?

Ken
    One thing to note, you said T55 (which is the original pos/neg film by polaroid used the 505 (or some other designation ... I have the Fuji verskon PA-45 [or PA-145] I have both the 3ish x 4ish one and the 4x5 one and can never remember which is which) that took the pack film (like the kind that went in land cameras) but the NEW55 uses individual sheets (not a pack) that you load in the 545 back kinda like a QuickLoad holder works.

It took me a year to sort all of this out, and I bought every type of holder to see it in person to figure it out. The old guys just KNOW and assume things when speaking that just make it even more confusing for the rest of us.

Anyway the pack film backs are like $150 each on the bay, the new55 type 545 backs are $20 on the bay, which is why they were chosen, so people could afford them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never used the old T55 either, but my understanding was that the correct exposure for the print and the negative were different, different enough that if you exposed for a proper, easy to print negative you got a print that would serve as a proof but was - too light, I believe. So unless that changes it may not be that great for giving away the print and keeping the negative, unless you shoot two sheets.

If this stuff works and is affordable I'd get the back even if it were $200. Might be worth it to load a whole pack but I suppose I can live with single sheets. Wouldn't this be awesome if the back fits in the Travelwide without too much trouble?!

I don't understand the thing about sulphite. You can buy big ol' jars of it from the Formulary. Almost certainly you can get it other places too but the point is that it's readily available and cheap. Fixer is available but may cost more, and can certainly be more problematical to handle. Not bad - we're not talking wet plate with ether and such here - but not as nice as sulphite. And anyone who knows enough to be shooting 4x5 New55 should know where to get sulphite. Odd choice if that's really the reason, but I can certainly live with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    One thing to note...
    Well, I sprang for $30, plus shipping, for a NOS 545. Just because it sounds like it might be fun. But I've never used large-format instant film, so I'm not up on all of the extinct varieties and ancient hardware. I just read '545' from your post and their FAQ, and it sounded like a decent bet.

Ken

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin