Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,585   Online: 935

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I never used the old T55 either, but my understanding was that the correct exposure for the print and the negative were different, different enough that if you exposed for a proper, easy to print negative you got a print that would serve as a proof but was - too light, I believe. So unless that changes it may not be that great for giving away the print and keeping the negative, unless you shoot two sheets.
    On their FAQ that's what they're claiming. Matched-exposure prints and negatives. It's their biggest claimed R&D improvement. I do remember that the original Polaroid stuff was an either/or proposition. I remember reading that in St. AA's Bible series.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Well, I sprang for $30, plus shipping, for a NOS 545. Just because it sounds like it might be fun. But I've never used large-format instant film, so I'm not up on all of the extinct varieties and ancient hardware. I just read '545' from your post and their FAQ, and it sounded like a decent bet.

Ken
    Ya' done good
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    On their FAQ that's what they're claiming. Matched-exposure prints and negatives. It's their biggest claimed R&D improvement. I do remember that the original Polaroid stuff was an either/or proposition. I remember reading that in St. AA's Bible series.

Ken
    Awesome! Gotta get me one o'dem holders then, because if this stuff becomes real they'll suddenly be in demand and the price will jump, and if it never does I'll only be out ten or twenty bucks and add it to the collection of now-useless crap. ;-)

So which will I get first, my New55 film or my Travelwide? I'm reasonably sure the Travelwide will arrive in due time, though. Have to hope a bit for the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, my holder that works with Polaroid T55 calls itself a Polaroid Land Film Holder #500. It does work with T55 (and I still have a few sheets I'd better use quick).
    Correct, the old stuff needs different speeds for each piece, though I'd bet that shooting for in between would give you something ok for the print and something somewhat usable for the neg (possibly with non-analog methods). But just having a negative in a few minutes is what I love about T55. Well, also the cool edges and the end where it connects. I've cleared mine with water, btw, and they seem to be fine so far.
    The most I've paid for the T55 was $60 for 10 sheets and that's pretty much my limit for something that I didn't know if it would work. I'm watching for the new55, though, and would possibly pay slightly more if I knew I'd get a result.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awesome! Gotta get me one o'dem holders then, because if this stuff becomes real they'll suddenly be in demand and the price will jump...
    Here is the FAQ I was reading. Don't know how hold it is, but it refers to the $6 price point and the sulfite issue. It also discusses product development cooperation by Harman/Ilford, Impossible Project, and others.

And here is a slideshow of New55 photo test examples. Presumably these were made using the early hand-assembled prototypes. They are claiming the process is almost ready for commercialization and all they need is the startup funding to scale it up.

Balanced pos/neg exposures and a Graflok mount sounds like happy portrait days for a Crown Graphic. There were 3 or 4 unused NOS 545 holders on the ugly auction site just last evening. And over a hundred nice used ones, many for about the $20 each quoted by Stone.

[Edit: Click here for an interesting description by Zoe Wiseman of trying out five prototype sheets of New55, and how it compares to the original Polaroid Type 55 film. Side-by-side examples of both are included. This appears to have been published on September 2, 2012.]

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 01-23-2014 at 04:04 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added [Edit]...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, the real reason the 545 was chosen is it's much easier to (hand) assemble single sheet packets of film/paper than to engineer and build film packs to hold 10 sheets at a time, and the complex packaging and assembly that requires. The pack-film version of any instant film is significantly better/easier to use/more compact than the single-sheet versions. There's a reason Polaroid (and Fuji) went to pack film instead of individual sheet film - it's a better solution. But the 545 was chosen primarily to make it simpler (read: cheaper) for the engineering end of things for New55 folks.

"Anyway the pack film backs are like $150 each on the bay, the new55 type 545 backs are $20 on the bay, which is why they were chosen, so people could afford them. "

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    No, the real reason the 545 was chosen is it's much easier to (hand) assemble single sheet packets of film/paper than to engineer and build film packs to hold 10 sheets at a time, and the complex packaging and assembly that requires. The pack-film version of any instant film is significantly better/easier to use/more compact than the single-sheet versions. There's a reason Polaroid (and Fuji) went to pack film instead of individual sheet film - it's a better solution. But the 545 was chosen primarily to make it simpler (read: cheaper) for the engineering end of things for New55 folks.

"Anyway the pack film backs are like $150 each on the bay, the new55 type 545 backs are $20 on the bay, which is why they were chosen, so people could afford them. "
    Smart move!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Six bucks a sheet will kill it for me. Not worth that, sorry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Six bucks a sheet will kill it for me. Not worth that, sorry.
    Almost the same price as Velvia, probably the same as Ektar or Portra, a lot cheaper once the film is processed (although, if you still count polaroids as cheap shot-wasting insurance, it could save you a few sheets of real film).
    But still, some people are buying expired FP100C (not the 45 version) on fleabay for $4 a shot (even when it's only $2 a shot at B+H), so $6 doesn't sound unreasonable.

I just checked my records, I got my 545 for a whopping €5 (plus €20 shipping) to use with quickloads. I should've taken the second one for the same shipping at the time. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by swhiser View Post
    Gentlemen-
    How may I be of service?
    -Sam
    new55project.com

Or at least, I'm presuming the Kickstarter isn't up yet? I've searched and found nothing yet, I'll have to see what the price/rewards are when it's up...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin