Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,748   Online: 884

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Here is the FAQ I was reading. Don't know how hold it is, but it refers to the $6 price point and the sulfite issue. It also discusses product development cooperation by Harman/Ilford, Impossible Project, and others.

And here is a slideshow of New55 photo test examples. Presumably these were made using the early hand-assembled prototypes. They are claiming the process is almost ready for commercialization and all they need is the startup funding to scale it up.

Balanced pos/neg exposures and a Graflok mount sounds like happy portrait days for a Crown Graphic. There were 3 or 4 unused NOS 545 holders on the ugly auction site just last evening. And over a hundred nice used ones, many for about the $20 each quoted by Stone.

[Edit: Click here for an interesting description by Zoe Wiseman of trying out five prototype sheets of New55, and how it compares to the original Polaroid Type 55 film. Side-by-side examples of both are included. This appears to have been published on September 2, 2012.]

Ken
    Hope they end up using ilford film that matches something current like FP4+ we shall see...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    ...a lot cheaper once the film is processed...
    That's how I look at it. Six dollars for the exposure, and the processing, AND the printing/proofing, depending on your intended final use.

I can live with that. Especially at the beginning, I might even live with a bit more. I'm not a prolific user of sheet film already. Although granted, having a proof in-hand might nudge me to reshoot once in a while. Besides, if the film were to take off in its niche market, unit cost might even drop a little bit. Well, maybe...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Hope they end up using ilford film that matches something current like FP4+ we shall see...
    One point made by Zoe is that the New55 sheets are "correct" 4x5-sized films, where the earlier Polaroid variety was just slightly too large to fit into standard negative page sleeves. Which may point more toward an off-the-shelf current film?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ken, don't forget adding shipping for many people. Granted, I don't ship my B&W off for processing, but a fair number do. Once you add all of it up, it might not really be that bad to pay $6/sheet.

Is the #500 holder the same as the 545 for this venture? I may have another holder around, but it's likely about 1000 miles away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Is the #500 holder the same as the 545 for this venture? I may have another holder around, but it's likely about 1000 miles away.
    Not sure, Bethe. I read the FAQ link and they only mentioned 545s. I'm not enough of a Polaroid expert to know, so I just went ahead and picked up a nice 545 holder cuz' it just sounds like too much fun.

I'm not even thinking of using it on a tripod camera. It's the Crown I'm thinking of for street portraits. Maybe with a bucket of sulfite/fixer in the car trunk, and some individual square Tupperware containers filled with water as holding tanks until I get back home?

Hmm. Maybe I should have grabbed a lighter 545i plastic holder instead for hand-holding?

Not really sure about the standard workflow for this kind of stuff when using it in the field. Maybe someone can correct my newbie-ness regarding how it's done?

Ken

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Ken, don't forget adding shipping for many people. Granted, I don't ship my B&W off for processing, but a fair number do. Once you add all of it up, it might not really be that bad to pay $6/sheet.

No, not even close...

The one you have is the equivalent of this Fuji one... Holds a pack of 10 sheets/prints.

Fuji PA-45

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...older_for.html

The one you need for new55 is this... Holds a single sheet at a time (just like quick loads)

polaroid 545

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=190874372491
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The BIG difference besides individual sheets, is that you should always have the thing loaded IN the camera before you insert the sheet of film, because the back has no dark slide...so don't practice unless you don't care about killing one...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's silly to compare black and white to Velvia. For that matter I don't shoot color in 4x5 except when I get a deal on expired or partially used boxes of film. I shoot it with a rollfilm back if I see something that has to be in color, assuming one of my lenses will frame it on 6x7cm. 4x5 color is just too expensive, but if I did much of it I'd process it myself too.

Regular black and white 4x5 is all over the map depending on brand but using Ilford (cheaper than Kodak, more expensive and much better QC than Foma) as the comparison it's about $1.20 to $1.30 a sheet from B&H. That's not too bad. A few cents more for developer and fixer gets a negative. Include the proof - I cut four 4x5s from an 8x10 sheet and print proofs on RC paper, $68.95/100 from B&H. Seventeen and a quarter (rounding) cents for a 4x5. Even assuming I used two sheets including tests (I don't usually) that's $0.34, add a few cents for paper chems. The entire negative plus proof comes out to less than two bucks, easily. Three times as much for the instant is not something I will use much of. Not saying I couldn't, it just wouldn't be worth it to me. For exposure proofing I can continue to use the color Fuji 3.25x4.25 film at a buck a shot or so.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    It's silly to compare black and white to Velvia. For that matter I don't shoot color in 4x5 except when I get a deal on expired or partially used boxes of film. I shoot it with a rollfilm back if I see something that has to be in color, assuming one of my lenses will frame it on 6x7cm. 4x5 color is just too expensive, but if I did much of it I'd process it myself too.

Regular black and white 4x5 is all over the map depending on brand but using Ilford (cheaper than Kodak, more expensive and much better QC than Foma) as the comparison it's about $1.20 to $1.30 a sheet from B&H. That's not too bad. A few cents more for developer and fixer gets a negative. Include the proof - I cut four 4x5s from an 8x10 sheet and print proofs on RC paper, $68.95/100 from B&H. Seventeen and a quarter (rounding) cents for a 4x5. Even assuming I used two sheets including tests (I don't usually) that's $0.34, add a few cents for paper chems. The entire negative plus proof comes out to less than two bucks, easily. Three times as much for the instant is not something I will use much of. Not saying I couldn't, it just wouldn't be worth it to me. For exposure proofing I can continue to use the color Fuji 3.25x4.25 film at a buck a shot or so.
    My biggest issue is temperature, Polaroid stuff can't be frozen, nor heated too much, or pods break etc, but all I shoot in is extreme conditions... So I'm always leaving the film behind in favor of not having to hassle with the film... I've list my interest in instant... I was so going ho but my excitement is waining the longer it takes...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No problem with that for me. Anything under 55 or so, no way I'm fooling with LF. I MIGHT take the 35mm or TLR, maybe. I HATE cold.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin