Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,263   Online: 944

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    No problem with that for me. Anything under 55 or so, no way I'm fooling with LF. I MIGHT take the 35mm or TLR, maybe. I HATE cold.
    I hate it too, I have raynards syndrome, but I still go out and shoot, it's worth it usually...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    No, not even close...

The one you have is the equivalent of this Fuji one... Holds a pack of 10 sheets/prints.

Fuji PA-45

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...older_for.html

The one you need for new55 is this... Holds a single sheet at a time (just like quick loads)

polaroid 545

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=190874372491
    No, my #500 holder holds single sheets - intended for the Type 55. I believe it's the oldest version. But that's why I'm hoping it will also work for the new55.

I also have a version of the Polaroid 405 that holds pack film.

I have this one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaroid-500...-/281251306123
    Last edited by winger; 01-24-2014 at 09:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    That's how I look at it. Six dollars for the exposure, and the processing, AND the printing/proofing, depending on your intended final use.

I can live with that. Especially at the beginning, I might even live with a bit more. I'm not a prolific user of sheet film already. Although granted, having a proof in-hand might nudge me to reshoot once in a while. Besides, if the film were to take off in its niche market, unit cost might even drop a little bit. Well, maybe...

Ken

And knowing that you got the shot before you leave - "priceless". Seriously, even with the need to clear in Sodium Sulfite, if you're traveling a distance with your 4x5, it's nice to know what you've got before you drive or fly away.

And I still have a 545 holder and an original clearing tank. Just never got around to selling them after Polaroid went under. Sometimes better to be lucky than smart.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    And knowing that you got the shot before you leave - "priceless".
    Absolutely. As would be the ability to provide a souvenir of the encounter. When using the Graflite on the Crown I usually pop the (cooled) flashbulb that was used into the subject's hands for them to keep. They always love that. Being able to add an instant print would be just perfect.

That alone would make a $6 cost worth it to me. I would just be careful not to expose 50 sheets a day.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    No, my #500 holder holds single sheets - intended for the Type 55. I believe it's the oldest version. But that's why I'm hoping it will also work for the new55.

I also have a version of the Polaroid 405 that holds pack film.

I have this one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaroid-500...-/281251306123
    I can't answer that, I'm already confused now, I'm pretty sure the holder 500 is the older version of 545 but I can't be sure, but it looks the same.

I know someone told me they COULD be used with quick loads but that the quick load holder is technically better since it was designed for quick loads, and the ready loads are I think the correct for 545 but again, the info is sort of scattered.

I think to ME this is one of the main reasons polaroid failed, because all of their equipment and film was a big jumbled mess, pro's who had "been around" knew what was going on but everyone else was confused as f-ck about what goes with what, and prevented a lot of amateur sales that would have kept the company going.

Streamlining your products is an important part of business that Polaroid and many others didn't quite get (even kodak got that you label the camera and the film with the same number...)

IE all "type 100" 3ishx4ish size pack film should have been labeled 100 ... Period... 100 - blue, 100 - sepia, 100 - B 100 - C

All 4x5 pack film should have been 145 labeled... 145 blue, 145 sepia, 145-B 145-C or whatever etc...

The whole 664, 669, T55, T56 etc etc makes no sense and is just confusing to potential new customers...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Stone... 545 holders actually work better with BOTH Quickloads and single-sheet Readyloads than the official holders from either Fuji or Kodak. But there's some heavy junk in the 545 you don't need - namely, you can drop the rollers out and plug the light holes, and end up with a very
    reliable holder at half the wt of the original (but no longer good for instant films). A relatively useless academic fact at this point, unless someone is lucky enough to round up a bunch of remaining Quickload or Readyload film. I'm sure going to miss that system for backpacking!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Stone... 545 holders actually work better with BOTH Quickloads and single-sheet Readyloads than the official holders from either Fuji or Kodak. But there's some heavy junk in the 545 you don't need - namely, you can drop the rollers out and plug the light holes, and end up with a very
    reliable holder at half the wt of the original (but no longer good for instant films). A relatively useless academic fact at this point, unless someone is lucky enough to round up a bunch of remaining Quickload or Readyload film. I'm sure going to miss that system for backpacking!
    But the quickload (or maybe ready load?) ... The Kodak one... Is so light and plasticky, I can't imagine the Polaroid one is lighter even with parts taken out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If Bob can get this going, and the price is not too bad, this will be, imo, a huge deal. I have no problem being a guinea pig for this project whatsoever

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc View Post
    Last I read on the blog was that new55 was a side project and was never really meant to be a commercial endeavor, which I interpreted as "only a few lucky folks will ever get to shoot new55, so stop holding your breath". My interest in the project dwindled considerably after reading that, though I do hear there's lots of progress being made, just none towards public availability. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    jcc-

The project is moving toward commercialization now. A possible Kickstarter -- if it were successful -- would ensure that something like 5,000 units (a unit is a box of 5 sheets) would ship to contributors about 8 months from end of Kickstarter project (Kickstarter projects tend to last no longer than 30 days).

After that, full-scale production would depend on the ability of the project to move successfully toward incorporation.

Nothing's granted for sure. Stay tuned on the website or other media feeds & locations.

-Sam Hiser

project CEO
    new55project.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I think to ME this is one of the main reasons polaroid failed, because all of their equipment and film was a big jumbled mess, pro's who had "been around" knew what was going on but everyone else was confused as f-ck about what goes with what, and prevented a lot of amateur sales that would have kept the company going.
    The whole 664, 669, T55, T56 etc etc makes no sense and is just confusing to potential new customers...
    That's exactly what I've thought, time and again. It's even harder coming into it now that most of the stuff's disappeared, there's dribs and drabs spread around the internet but nothing concrete.
    Even Impossible live up to their name, their data is just as impossible to follow.
    "SX70 film for SX70 cameras" - yeah, that's nice, but what about backs? They barely rate a mention, except some that say "we don't make film for them".
    Fuji don't help either, they may make film but they don't use Polaroid's numbering scheme either.
    I tried to find backs for both my Mamiya 645AF and Hasselbladski. You think I could find anything about what type of film they took? Obviously not the 'real' 4x5, but do they take '600' type, or 'sx70' type (or some other type?), any information? Some are labelled as "for peel-apart" type film, that's nice, but does that mean sheet or pack?
    Nothing, not a clue to be found anywhere.
    In the end, I took a $50 gamble and just bought a "polaroid holder" for my m645AF. Turns out it took packfilm. Took another $20 gamble and bought some FP3000B. Turns out it fits the holder. Still wasn't sure if that meant it was '600' or 'sx70' type or something else.
    Took another $60 gamble, bought a "polaroid packfilm holder missing darkslide". Turns out my pack of FP3000B fits it. So I'm presuming it's a 405 holder, it looks like this one. Cut a 4x5 darkslide down to fit. So now I've got some FP3000B and FP100C, and holders that fit my 645AF and 4x5, and I'm locked into these two Fujis until I take a gamble on something Impossible to find out if it does or doesn't fit.

Seriously, we need a sticky in the 'polaroid' subforum called 'navigating the minefiled of film numbers, packs, and holders', with a giant matrix of everything there ever is and was, what holder it fits into, and what camera the holder attaches to.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin