Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,723   Posts: 1,514,997   Online: 1212

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right-on adelorenzo! You can help ... by communicating to anyone you know who loves the ground-glass.

So, here's our market: all humans with 4x5 cameras (or -- among those other people -- those who are dreaming of working slower someday). In marketing terms, that's a well-defined space and something like a gift.

To be successful, a Kickstarter project needs over 1,000 contributors from North America, about 1,000 from EU, and about 500 from Asia (Kickstarter reward structure TBD). All the same, we don't know how many people are out there.

It could be just you guys (& gals) on this thread. And all that excitement over there in social media could be you guys (& gals) too. We'd like to see our skepticism disproven -- emphatically -- which is why we are setting a high Kickstarter goal (if it's approved).

-Sam

project CEO
    new55project.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No need to be confused about holders. The 545 works like a charm. The 545i is plastic and lighter in weight but works too.

$6.00 would be a logical minimum, Ken.

-Sam
    Last edited by swhiser; 01-24-2014 at 03:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I think to ME this is one of the main reasons polaroid failed, because all of their equipment and film was a big jumbled mess, pro's who had "been around" knew what was going on but everyone else was confused as f-ck about what goes with what, and prevented a lot of amateur sales that would have kept the company going.
    At the risk of going off on a tangent, their marketing and branding may have been a jumbled mess, but what killed them is the 1 hour minilab. And they were effectively dead (finally bankrupt around 2000) before digital hit it's stride. Polavision was to be their next great innovation - which came out about the same time as consumer-grade camcorders. Their pro-level films just didn't have the volume to keep them going. I think their pro-level instant film could have lasted longer as a niche product under the umbrella of a Kodak, Ilford, or Fuji.

But they didn't ask for my advice.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So I don't come across as critical let me be clear that I well understand why $6 may be the lowest practical price. This would be a huge project. I get that. But I can't pay six bucks a sheet for it, at least not very much or very often. If it were half that it would still be 50% more than conventional negative film (but I'd probably use a lot of it.) If it were, say, $4, I'd use quite a bit too. But at $6 I'm not at all sure. I do have one project I've had in mind for a couple of years that I may be able to start on this year for which this stuff would be just AWESOME, the absolute shiznit, and the price wouldn't be a barrier, but I'll have to see if I can get started on it, other finances and such allowing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swhiser View Post
    $6.00 would be a logical minimum, Ken.
    Understood.

That's why I added that little disclaimer about being willing, especially at the beginning, to go higher. I did the same with TIP early on. And had a blast with it.

Watching this very closely. Can contribute some $$$ if you reach the fundraising point. And the best part is, I never even used the original T55. So I'm a brand new (potential) customer. No prior expectations. Only future anticipations.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    At the risk of going off on a tangent, their marketing and branding may have been a jumbled mess, but what killed them is the 1 hour minilab. And they were effectively dead (finally bankrupt around 2000) before digital hit it's stride. Polavision was to be their next great innovation - which came out about the same time as consumer-grade camcorders. Their pro-level films just didn't have the volume to keep them going. I think their pro-level instant film could have lasted longer as a niche product under the umbrella of a Kodak, Ilford, or Fuji.

But they didn't ask for my advice.
    This. The pro stuff was indeed "a jumbled mess" but both pros and amateurs devoted enough to want a Polaroid back, or even know what one was, could and did figure it out. Their bread and butter was consumer cameras for instant gratification of vacation snapshots and such. The high cost compared to conventional materials limited their market all along and the mini lab killed it.

Shooter
    Multi Format

New55's not for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    So I don't come across as critical let me be clear that I well understand why $6 may be the lowest practical price. This would be a huge project. I get that. But I can't pay six bucks a sheet for it, at least not very much or very often.
    Roger-

We're with you. Every project has a price-point. Every photographer has requirements relative to the media-selection.

Presently the project is looking at N55 boxes containing 5 sheets each. Therefore, a unit would be, minimum, $30; but the early price could be twice that and then you'd simply be off to find other alternatives ...

... perhaps alternatives like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaroid-Typ...item2ece083813

... which is a $150 (incl. ship.) starting bid on a pretty nice, STILL SEALED, box of 20 sheets of not too old (probably good) Type 55. At about $7.50 a sheet that's pretty nice on something functional that's certainly EXTINCT -- and has KNOWN working characteristics.

The realities of Polaroid's and Fuji's discontinuations simply means we're in new world (with old economic rules) where manufacturing at today's equilibrium quantities derives a higher natural price.

We know that price will exclude some folks. For you, it's a little tough to see you go because your stuff on Flickr looks pretty good.

Please also keep in mind that New55 FILM is not a duplication of old 55; it only shares some of its basic characteristics (P/N peel-apart monochrome 4x5 in a single-sheet packet with a clip used in the 500, 545 or 545i holders).

It certainly will not be for everyone,
    -Sam

project CEO
    new55project.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was a heavy user of both 55 and 665. Their rendering were unique.
    I will definitely support your new 55.
    Good luck.
    G.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Watching this very closely. Can contribute some $$$ if you reach the fundraising point. And the best part is, I never even used the original T55. So I'm a brand new (potential) customer. No prior expectations. Only future anticipations.

Ken
    +1
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by swhiser View Post
    Roger-

We're with you. Every project has a price-point. Every photographer has requirements relative to the media-selection.

Presently the project is looking at N55 boxes containing 5 sheets each. Therefore, a unit would be, minimum, $30; but the early price could be twice that and then you'd simply be off to find other alternatives ...

... perhaps alternatives like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaroid-Typ...item2ece083813

... which is a $150 (incl. ship.) starting bid on a pretty nice, STILL SEALED, box of 20 sheets of not too old (probably good) Type 55. At about $7.50 a sheet that's pretty nice on something functional that's certainly EXTINCT -- and has KNOWN working characteristics.

The realities of Polaroid's and Fuji's discontinuations simply means we're in new world (with old economic rules) where manufacturing at today's equilibrium quantities derives a higher natural price.

We know that price will exclude some folks. For you, it's a little tough to see you go because your stuff on Flickr looks pretty good.

Please also keep in mind that New55 FILM is not a duplication of old 55; it only shares some of its basic characteristics (P/N peel-apart monochrome 4x5 in a single-sheet packet with a clip used in the 500, 545 or 545i holders).

It certainly will not be for everyone,
    -Sam

project CEO
    new55project.com
    I'd certainly like it to be for me. It was only after the initial "I can't pay six bucks a sheet" that I realized it would work for that project that I had in mind. But I am a hobbyist, not a commercial photographer. I sold a print recently and hope I can sell a few more but it will never be more than a hobby for me, I think, even if the project I have in mind is a sort of "commercial hobby" endeavor.

It's a complex product. I'll actually be quite impressed if you can do it for six bucks a sheet. But when it comes to laying out three times as much per shot as regular Ilford film, I'll still be using more regular film by a long shot.

Best of luck with it. It would be an awesome product to have available.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin