Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,516   Posts: 1,543,743   Online: 874

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Polaroid 545 holders? I have a bunch of them, I am going to give them away for free to those who purchase one of my Polaroid 110B/900 4x5 camera conversions.

While the supply lasts.......

I am most enthused over this new 55 project, I hope the rest of you will be as well....

Be sure and stay away from the old original Polaroid 500 4x5 instant film holders, I am amazed at how many are for sale on the "bay" auction site, these model 500 holders are just amazingly useless and worthless, I tried modifying one to accept the last type 55 film packets and it just would not work, even the Fuji Quickloads and Kodak Readyloads would not work, no way of modifying it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Their bread and butter was consumer cameras for instant gratification of vacation snapshots and such. The high cost compared to conventional materials limited their market all along and the mini lab killed it.
    Roger,

I did a lot of market research when I worked on the Kodak Instant System (late '70s) and a major consumer use of instant photography was for events where immediacy was important (like birthday parties); one of the top uses was 'adult photography'. Vacation photos weren't very important.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Roger,

I did a lot of market research when I worked on the Kodak Instant System (late '70s) and a major consumer use of instant photography was for events where immediacy was important (like birthday parties); one of the top uses was 'adult photography'. Vacation photos weren't very important.
    Well ok. Probably because it was too expensive for vacation photos. I can see the "adult" stuff too, because no one at a processing lab had to see your photos. This market was just waiting for digital.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Well ok. Probably because it was too expensive for vacation photos. I can see the "adult" stuff too, because no one at a processing lab had to see your photos. This market was just waiting for digital.
    The world hasn't changed much, I'm still trying to figure out how I can send out some of my color to be processed and have it returned without offending someone..
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

rdg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sam,

What is the rough time line you are looking at?

I want to be able to contribute to the crowd funding and I know that I am going to have to budget for it. So some idea, so that I know how to prioritize my spending, of when you are looking to try the crowd funding would be appreciated. I know how much I want to budget for the funding but it is just that I want to know when I need it by.

I had the privilege of playing with the Polaroid product and it really did save some photographs. Although $6.- is expensive I know that I want it again. I believe that Polaroid had gone out of their way with their film to mimic the look of TRI-X, which then gave the photographer and viewer a good idea of what the final image would look like. Are you, with the New55Project going to try to emulate a certain look as well or is it going to be the "New55Project" look that you are creating? Also how closely will the negative, when printed out, and the positive resemble each other?

Thanks and good luck.

Richard
    Last edited by rdg; 01-25-2014 at 10:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg View Post
    Sam,

What is the rough time line you are looking at?

I want to be able to contribute to the crowd funding and I know that I am going to have to budget for it. So some idea, so that I know how to prioritize my spending, of when you are looking to try the crowd funding would be appreciated. I know how much I want to budget for the funding but it is just that I want to know when I need it by.

I had the privilege of playing with the Polaroid product and it really did save some photographs. Although $6.- is expensive I know that I want it again. I believe that Polaroid had gone out of their way with their film to mimic the look of TRI-X, which then gave the photographer and viewer a good idea of what the final image would look like. Are you, with the New55Project going to try to emulate a certain look as well or is it going to be the "New55Project" look that you are creating? Also how closely will the negative, when printed out, and the positive resemble each other?

Thanks and good luck.

Richard
    Kickstarter timing: "Early Spring 2014" is the best I can say today, rdg. It'll be no more than 30 days long.

The product development will continue as we identify source materials all year, so it's hard to be specific about look. We have our own taste and judgement to go by, and the samples on new55project.com are not up there because we <em>dislike</em> their tonal representations.

It would not be bad if New55 FILM eventually hits or even improves on the tonal quality and range of a Tri-X. The DTR process gives a very nice negative and also plays in solarization to a degree we can't predict until the final product stabilizes.

So far, in testing with the good reagent, the negative and positive have exposed right on. This is a significant achievement for the Crowley skunkworks since the old55 pos-neg were two stops apart, forcing the photographer to optimize for one or the other. This was a significant compromise, what we see now as an unnecessary sacrifice.

-Sam
    new55project.com
    Last edited by swhiser; 01-26-2014 at 11:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg View Post
    I believe that Polaroid had gone out of their way with their film to mimic the look of TRI-X, which then gave the photographer and viewer a good idea of what the final image would look like. Are you, with the New55Project going to try to emulate a certain look as well or is it going to be the "New55Project" look that you are creating?

Richard
    The Polaroid Type 55 (and 665, too, for that matter) used the Kodak film internally called "SO139" -- this is the old Panatomic-X!!

New55 FILM has some latitude to use a short list of off-the-shelf sheet films -- subject to availability and price. The cubic-grain emulsions work best with the DTR process. This is all covered in depth on the New55 FILM blog (search "DTR"). Thus far, Efke 25, Shanghai, and 320TXP have qualified as candidates for the negative component of New55 FILM. We are testing films from Ilford, Foma and Adox and will have to decide which sheet film we like the best.

These are all beloved emulsions. I like the LOOK of ALL of them, but it won't be my decision. Offering more than one cannot be ruled out.

-Sam
    new55project.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by swhiser View Post
    The Polaroid Type 55 (and 665, too, for that matter) used the Kodak film internally called "SO139" -- this is the old Panatomic-X!!

New55 FILM has some latitude to use a short list of off-the-shelf sheet films -- subject to availability and price. The cubic-grain emulsions work best with the DTR process. This is all covered in depth on the New55 FILM blog (search "DTR"). Thus far, Efke 25, Shanghai, and 320TXP have qualified as candidates for the negative component of New55 FILM. We are testing films from Ilford, Foma and Adox and will have to decide which sheet film we like the best.

These are all beloved emulsions. I like the LOOK of ALL of them, but it won't be my decision. Offering more than one cannot be ruled out.

-Sam
    new55project.com
    Well the Efke is already gone (and too slow IMHO, if it wound up still being a 25 speed product.) I've no idea about the stability of the source of Shanghai or, for that matter and I hate to say it, TXP post-Alaris era. TXP would be great, but it's also pricier, at least at retail. I don't know if that would matter though. The price difference in the film will probably be a small enough part of the total price of New55 that it wouldn't matter that much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kickstarter New55

I thought I post an update on the New55 Project. As of yesterday the Kickstarter project has gone live:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ley/new55-film

Help us make it possible to get this awesome product into production. So yes buy the Speedgraphic and defenitely yes buy a Polaroid 545 holder before the prices sore towards the heavens :-)
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter de Groot View Post
    I thought I post an update on the New55 Project. As of yesterday the Kickstarter project has gone live:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ley/new55-film

Help us make it possible to get this awesome product into production. So yes buy the Speedgraphic and defenitely yes buy a Polaroid 545 holder before the prices sore towards the heavens :-)
    Awesomeness!!

I wish the offered 1 film pack and 1 pouch

Such is life, guess I'll have to pledge one of each...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin