Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,340   Online: 842
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lower Earth
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,059

    Return To D76 & Tri-X

    Having tried Acufine and Rodinal recently and posted my results here (think I screwed up on the 1:50 Rodinal dilution, so will retry that at some other time), I mixed up a fresh batch of D76 yesterday and put my recently self-refurbished Canon FTb w/ FD 50 1.4 lens thru it today. All I can say is, D76, I missed ya! While I love the grain in Rodinal, and it's hard to beat Acufine's sharpness & cleanness, D76 and Tri-X really are perfect together. Also, this FD 50 1.4 chrome nose lens rocks. Who knew? Shot at box speed (200 w/ Y. filter)

    D76 is all about the tones, to me anyway. I accidentally developed this full strength at the 1+1 times (9 1/2 minutes at 70 degrees) instead of the 6 1/2 minutes Kodak calls for. The photos look beautiful, which is another great thing about D76. It's hard to mess things up. Love this developer.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small9.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	383.5 KB 
ID:	79970

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small22.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	413.7 KB 
ID:	79971

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small 3.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	540.9 KB 
ID:	79972

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small 5.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	385.8 KB 
ID:	79973

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small 10.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	439.9 KB 
ID:	79974

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    496
    I like Ilford ID-11 Plus better. It's the same thing as D-76, but w/a sequestering agent that keeps the dissolved silver from replating itself back onto the film--cleaner look. Chip

  3. #3
    brucemuir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Metro DC area, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,264
    Images
    4
    yep, i agree its a hard to beat combo.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    I like Ilford ID-11 Plus better. It's the same thing as D-76, but w/a sequestering agent that keeps the dissolved silver from replating itself back onto the film--cleaner look.
    I used ID-11 Plus for a while around the time it was introduced in the US. But it was discontinued long ago.

    Anyway, TX/D-76 is the staff of life. Long may it live!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    US
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,060
    I have a respect for TX and D-76, and have used it a good many times in the 43 years since the first time I bought my GAF tank. But once I tried Microdol 1:3, it was like moving from pouring ketchup on my steak and having it with A1 instead.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I used ID-11 Plus for a while around the time it was introduced in the US. But it was discontinued long ago.

    Anyway, TX/D-76 is the staff of life. Long may it live!
    My lab said the were using ID-11 plus when I started w/them some yrs back. I had no ida it was discontinued. I used lots of iit when I was shooting 100+ rolls during the spring & summer.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    My lab said the were using ID-11 plus when I started w/them some yrs back. I had no ida it was discontinued. I used lots of iit when I was shooting 100+ rolls during the spring & summer.
    Evidently it was discontinued around 1995, as per this discussion list post from 1999:

    ILFORD ID 11 Plus was discontinued about 4 years ago because it was found
    that Cinnamic acid disulfide appeared to reduce the film speed of some new
    technology films.

    http://www.usask.ca/lists/alt-photo-...ct99/0358.html

  8. #8
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,472
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Evidently it was discontinued around 1995, as per this discussion list post from 1999:

    ILFORD ID 11 Plus was discontinued about 4 years ago because it was found
    that Cinnamic acid disulfide appeared to reduce the film speed of some new
    technology films.

    http://www.usask.ca/lists/alt-photo-...ct99/0358.html
    If it was discontinued it was "FIXED" and reintroduced because it's still available....

    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/product.asp?n=28

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Developer.html
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    If it was discontinued it was "FIXED" and reintroduced because it's still available....

    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/product.asp?n=28

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Developer.html
    The product you've linked is plain ID-11 which, like its close relative D-76, has been available since approximately forever. ID-11 Plus was a variant of ID-11 which had a silver sequestering agent added.

  10. #10
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,472
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The product you've linked is plain ID-11 which, like its close relative D-76, has been available since approximately forever. ID-11 Plus was a variant of ID-11 which had a silver sequestering agent added.
    Oh!!! I see, interesting history. Thanks for explaining.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin