Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,849   Online: 953

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    So I recently reaffirmed my love with black and white film. Does anyone still use T-max liquid developer? I used to mix just what i needed for a Paterson System 4, 2 reel tank which I holds 20 oz of developer. Does anyone still mix like that and have notes on mixing instructions? If not do you have anyone have any alternative developers they use?
    Are you happy to mix your own developer?

If so you could make your own to use as you describe. Have a look at OBSIDIAN AQUA. Very easy to make up. Economical to use (1ml of developer in 500 ml of tap water). It also happens to be a fantastic developer, preserving fine grain and delivering very sharp results. You can use it semi-stand and stand to take advantage of its compensating properties too.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=obsidian+aqua

RR
    Last edited by Regular Rod; 01-10-2014 at 06:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Are you happy to mix your own developer?

If so you could make your own to use as you describe. Have a look at OBSIDIAN AQUA. Very easy to make up. Economical to use (1ml of developer in 500 ml of tap water). I also happens to be a fantastic developer, preserving fine grain and delivering very sharp results. You can use it semi-stand and stand to take advantage of its compensating properties too.

RR
    RR don't confuse the poor guy, this is for someone who's been doing this a while and knows where to get all the chems... Let him get started before he has to try and tackle your home made developer...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I still can't get over the genius of naming a developer "obsidian aqua". Sounds like something that just got legalized in Denver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    RR don't confuse the poor guy, this is for someone who's been doing this a while and knows where to get all the chems... Let him get started before he has to try and tackle your home made developer...
    OBSIDIAN AQUA is not MY developer by any means. It is fast becoming my favourite but it isn't mine. eBay or Google will help him find the very few chemicals needed to make it up.

My suggestion was made so that he will be more likely to get good results. OBSIDIAN AQUA is probably the easiest developer to get good results with. If he reads the link all will be revealed.

Here's how I make up mine:

RR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OBSIDIANAQUARecipe_zps0a3ab506.jpg  
    Last edited by Regular Rod; 01-10-2014 at 07:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I still can't get over the genius of naming a developer "obsidian aqua". Sounds like something that just got legalized in Denver.
    It's a very accurate name. OBSIDIAN AQUA produces very sharp negatives and preserves fine grain.

RR

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    OBSIDIAN AQUA is not MY developer by any means. It is fast becoming my favourite but it isn't mine. eBay or Google will help him find the very few chemicals needed to make it up.

My suggestion was made so that he will be more likely to get good results. OBSIDIAN AQUA is probably the easiest developer to get good results with. If he reads the link all will be revealed.

Here's how I make up mine:

[IMG]C:\Users\user\Documents\Photography\OBSIDIAN AQUA Recipe.jpg[/IMG]

RR
    Could have sworn it was yours? Then who made it up?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Could have sworn it was yours? Then who made it up?
    It's all in that link to the Large Format Photography Forum that I put up earlier.

Jay DeFehr (a very helpful chap indeed BTW)

Mixing up developer is easy. 55 years ago, pocket money was in short supply, getting the chemicals and making your own was the only way to afford developer for some of us. I was nine when I made up my first developer. It was ID 11, which is the same as D 76...

RR
    Last edited by Regular Rod; 01-10-2014 at 07:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do love the idea of making my own developer, as companies fold or go out of business premade stuff will become harder to find. I will download and file it away, I again thank you everyone for the great information. I will be asking more question as I get further along. As for now does anyone know of a good way to convert the ratios in to millileters for mixing working solutions from consentraites or diluting working solutions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin