Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,209   Online: 871

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Help, A few Questions about film Developers

So I recently reaffirmed my love with black and white film. Does anyone still use T-max liquid developer? I used to mix just what i needed for a Paterson System 4, 2 reel tank which I holds 20 oz of developer. Does anyone still mix like that and have notes on mixing instructions? If not do you have anyone have any alternative developers they use?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Kodak site still has PDS's on chemistry, including the T-Max devs. I use HC110. But I usually one shot it like you used to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have use Tmax developer in the past, great stuff! Just follow instructions.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.

Here is a link to the technical publications page on the Kodak Alaris website: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...ankIndex.jhtml

I use that page regularly.

The Chemicals sub-link on that page includes a link to the data sheet (J-86) for T-Max and T-Max RS developers. They are both excellent developers - well suited to what you want to do.

Have fun!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG,

There are MANY developers out there, Kodak Tmax and Ilford DD-X are the top most expensive and very good, the cheaper Kodak HC-110 and Adox Adonal (Rodinal) both also very popular for a myriad of reasons, and hundreds in between...

Welcome back to film.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I have used it both one-shot and mixed to 1:4 with multiple use and time adjustment. I found the one-shot route to be more convenient but wasteful of a now scarce and expensive developer. Results were similar from both, so I can't really say one-shot is particularly better. Arguably it will give better consistency than roll 12 on a 1 liter batch, though. It does not make sense to me to use this developer for anything but pushed fast films, or where you are desperate to drag shadow details up. Its tonality for medium and slow speed films is not in my view better than "stock standard" developers like D76 or Rodinal, and it is much more expensive than those. Still, if you want to standardise on one developer for everything, it will get the job done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Napoleon and welcome to APUG
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you everyone. I have done some basic experimentation with the following. 2 rolls 400 ASA Tri-x Developed in D-76 at room temp for 8 minutes, looked really nice, good tonal range. Now here is were a take the train and drive it off the cliff. I found some of what I can only guess is 14 years plus T-Max 100 120 film as it expiration date was 02/2000 . Well I decided to shoot it and then process it in a new method I found out about. It is as follows, Water Rinse for 2 min constant agitation, Room temp D-76 1 min agitation and then left to stand for 59 mins. I then rinsed and fixed for 12 mins as I used to knowing that T-Max has a purple tint to it if not fixed for a long time. Again Thanks all, and I will keep you posted on my return to the wonderful world of film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Napoleon - Welcome back to film

I use development similar to what you describe when I have an image with very high contrast. The initial development brings some density to the shadow regions, but when you leave it without agitation for a long time, the developer gets exhausted locally near where the highlights are, so you do not get as much density there as you would with constant agitation. This can be taken a step further by doing the stand development in the cold - such as the refrigerator.

That said, I don't like the idea of doing something where you have too many unknowns - if you are dealing with old film and don't know how it will respond, I would use a developing technique which you know well, and when experimenting with a new developing technique, use a film which is a known quantity - that way you will be able to understand what is doing what in your process.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Years ago I used to send my stuff out for developing, and the lab I used went w/ T max developer. My negs always looked very nice.

Now I do my own stuff, shoot mostly Tri-X, and the only developers I have personal experience with are Acufine, Rodinal and D76. They all work great, it just depends on what look you're after. I'm always the weak link in the development chain, not the developer, which is why I nearly always use D76. Pretty fool proof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin