Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,033   Online: 867

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Talking timers for film processing?

Does anybody else use talking timers for processing and printing? I use the little electronic countdown timers which you can buy here in Australia at Dick Smith Electronics (for about $22 AUD). They are great for B&W processing, and even better for colour, as with colour there are more steps, and you don't have to keep your eye on the clock. Last week I tried to buy something similar at Radio Shack in NYC, but they don't seem to exist in the US.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin, you have my attention....

What sort of functions does it have? I've been using a kitchen timer for film development in trays and it would be good getting confirmation that it's running! (I actually use a 2nd timer as backup!) I was thinking of setting up a cassette tape with minute marks.

Also, does it have a sexy female voice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, Nige, it has -
    Count up, count down and clock. I usually use two in tandem. So, for B&W, I'll have one running for the dev, say 8 minutes, and the other will be set on say 4 mins for the fix. With color stuff, for E6, I have both set on 8 mins, and do the FD for 6 and wash for 2 on one, then the RE for 2 and the CD for 6 on the other, and then the BX for 8 on the first. They also have a memory function, which is great for printing.

And yes, it does have a sexy female voice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I forgot to mention that it gives a time every minute counting down, every ten seconds under one minute, and then the last ten seconds to zero, then beeps for a minute.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using talking timers for about a year. I have three of them and I paid about $10.00 USD apiece for them.

I love 'em!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Aren't they great? I've been using them for about four or five years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi every one
    I was looking at those talking timers which somebody suggested to me in another tread about a month ago. What I found I need three to four times to time some time lot of trouble trying to find one or the others in the dark. So on eBay I bought a four- time set kitchen timer. You set different times your developing ,stop bath, fixer .I turn light off and start all with one press of the button.First one goes off you take film out put it in the next tray second timer goes off and so on. I paid $ 14 on eBay for that kithchen 4Xtimer.
    Just an idea that I am going to use.Really don't need to talk to me just to go of at the proper time.

Greg
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a talking timer from Radio Shack about 10-years ago, but the company doesn't seem to have them anymore. I would have liked it a lot, but the start button was a bit difficult to locate in the dark and the timer made no "start" noise, so I was usually unsure that the thing had actually started.

I now use my Palm Pilot and a program called Fototimer. I put the Pilot in a deep box to keep the screen glow from fogging the film.
    juan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Kevin,

For developing color prints in trays, I use a Timex Ironman 100 lap watch. It has a timer setup that you can program for multiple steps. It beeps at the end of each step.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greetings Kevin, I too use a dual timer ,from Tandy in Melb ( Now part of Dick Smith ) but if you are going to run more than two steps I recommend a 'Tape Recorder' and dictacte your message, ten seconds to go before the drain step,etc ( it is best to have a ladies voice, you will get sick of your own !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin