Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,226   Posts: 1,532,676   Online: 810

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Selenium is not going to give you the density you need. With luck you can get 1 paper grade.

Use a tray and do one strip at a time. You need to see what you are doing during the process.

Any intensifier is going to increase the grain a bit. One is trying to obtain a usable negative. Like so many things in photography you can't have both.

Chromium intensification can be repeated more than once. If desired the last intensified image can be toned with selenium for greater density and permanence. Some people use a staining developer rather than a print developer.

First test the process on a negative that is not valuable.
    Selenium will not give you as much increase as you want. Chromium INtensifier will add to your grain and is very toxic to the environment.

Sepia tone the negatives to gain 1.5-2.0 zones increase in the highlights, thus increased contrast. This can be done with the lights on and the redevelopment can be done with your favorite developer.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Selenium will not give you as much increase as you want. Chromium INtensifier will add to your grain and is very toxic to the environment.
    It is chromium (VI) that is very toxic. Mixing the used bleach with sodium sulfite will reduce the chromium to chromium (II) which is an essential trace element. Add sodium sulfite until the orange color changes to green.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks again for the responses. As it happens, I have in my pending order for chemicals also thiourea. So, will try Chromium versus Thiourea (aka thiocarbamide) toning. And make sure I reduce the Cr(VI) with sodium sulfite before disposal. Maybe I'll post the results in a new thread.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bernard_L View Post
    Printing on grade 4 (or 5, which would more properly called 4.5, at least for Ilford Multigrade; look at their published curves) leaves no room if I need to, e.g. burnin shadows at higher grade to give them punch.
    You can increase print contrast by applying subproportional reducers after the process. This gives you plenty of room for experimentation and optimization without any risk to your negs.
    Quote Originally Posted by bernard_L View Post
    ID-55 don't know, but I have already tried ID-14 and got maybe 1/2 grade gain at most. Dokumol I can buy, sure, but I would rather use it to rescue old paper (combined with benzotriazole).
    I have made the observation that modern multigrade papers, assuming full development, don't respond much to changes in developer composition. Given that, I'm surprised you saw any difference at all.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin