Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,491   Online: 951

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Big mistake with negativ and protectan, help please.

Need help!
    I am making a contact of a 4x5 Efke negative for a customer. To remove dust I wanted to blow away the dust, grabed the wrong can and sprayed protectan onto the negative which left marks on the film.
    I can't remove it with water. Does anyone have an idea how to remove it.
    Alcohol? petrol?
    Would be grateful for a rescue.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Protectan is a mix of butane,propane and isopropane a classic film cleaner should be able to remove the stains ( mix of alcohol and dest.water). Be careful as Efke is very prone to scratching. Good Luck

Andreas du solltest die Rückstände mit den meisten handelsüblichen Negativreinigern entfernen können. viel Glück

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure about advice but I've had too many near misses with "canned air" type products in the past and now reply on a soft anti-static brush; 'Kinetronic' brand.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about isopropyl alcohol? Is it safe to put the negative in there?

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    98% Isopropyl alcohol is okay lower than this is not recommended. Kodak info on neg cleaning http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consu...5/cis145.shtml

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try a soak in photo flo with a few drops of 98% isopropyl alcohol for a few seconds rinse and see it that doesn't clear the neg.I did almost the same thing several years ago. Using canned air, tipped the can too far and ruined the neg with whatever propellant canned air uses. Could not recover the negative.....Never used canned air again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was thinking of mixing 50/50 isopropyl with distilled water. Or is that too strong. I wanted to submerge the whole negative, or does that harm the base?
    Just trying now on a rubbish negative of mine.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Protectan should not leave any residues.
    I guess its condensated water-vapour (due to the evaporation cold) that gave that marks.

EDIT:
    Though, if there was an unvolatile substance dissolved, it would typically stay in the pressure caniste, and by that typically not experienced.
    Using the fluid phase is a, let's say, uncommon use.
    Last edited by AgX; 01-11-2014 at 03:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    May be! I am actually worried that the cold air damaged the emulsion.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    It shouldn't damage your emulsion regarding the 50/50 mix don't. Please follow Kodak's recommendation of 98% isopropyl alcohol they know what they are talking about. On what side of the neg did you spray the protectan on the emulsion side or the other side? If you sprayed it on the non emulsion side you can use a cotton swab + isopropyl to clean it. If you sprayed it on the emulsion side it probably better to submerge the neg. Viel Glück

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin