Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,486   Posts: 1,571,303   Online: 791

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Tri-X at 1600? Actually, yeah...surprisingly good

I've been experimenting recently with pushing tri-x to 1600, developed in d-76, 1:1, at 68 degrees for 12.5 minutes, exactly what Kodak recommends, and have been pleasantly surprised with the results -- not grainy at all, even at 11 by 14 from a 35mm negative.

Really a vast improvement from what it was like the last time I tried that, somewhere back in the 70s.

This is a typical example -- the actual print has slightly better tonal range...i have a rather cheap scanner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alice is 32.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	80067
    Last edited by summicron1; 01-12-2014 at 12:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you developing with 1:1?

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not really going to get massively grainier, it's usually just going to get contrastier as shadow detail is lost. Thing is, sometimes this is perfectly fine and acceptable for the given type of photograph.

400TX can be pushed to 3200 as well. Best results found with XTOL 1+1 by far; but D-76 is no slouch.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yes, 1:1 --- i notice the highlights seem brighter. I wouldn't use this for everything, obviously, but for interiors on these dark winter nights it's handy .... or for using my older slower lenses.

i was actually quite impressed with how well it held mid-tonal range stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it looks good.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm constantly amazed at how well that film performs at most any ISO and in most any developer (although D76 is my favorite). On the other end, I sometimes shoot it at 100 or even 50 ISO and develop in D76 and it looks just great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone tri HP5 like this? How does it compare to the Kodak?

Shooter
    35mm
    I would also like to know how well HP5 works at 1600 and 3200 with D-76. Anyone?

Shooter
    35mm
    HP5+ reportedly pushes well all the way to 3200. I actually like HP5+ slightly better than Tri-X for black and white photography.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nice post, I've recently shot a roll of tri-x @ 1600, and was contemplating on how to approach the development. This gave me confidence to start out with the recommended times by kodak!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin