Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,303   Posts: 1,536,253   Online: 743

Shooter
    35mm RF

Creases After Flattening

I just got my first dry mount press (Seal 200) and ran 3 12x16" prints through it for flattening at about 200 deg for one minute between two sheets of 2-ply mat board. They each had some serious potato chip waves on the edges, and these flattened out into small creases along the side. Since I'm new to pressing, can someone advise if there is a way to avoid this? In this case, it's not a big deal, as I have a generous border on these images. It could be a problem later, though. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been getting the same results with my school's press. Not sure how to avoid it, so I've come to accept it, even though my prints are still not entirely flat as well.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    It is due to lack of humidity in your mounting rooms.. If you can raise the level of humidity to 40 % . If not try wetting a cloth with water and rubbing the back of the print be careful on the edges not to get water on the front side.
    By adding water you will swell the paper and with the hot press the steaming action will give you flat edges.

Same principle when you get your good white shirts pressed

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks, Bob! I'll give that a try. My apartment gets dry in the winter due to the heating, so I'll try a fabric steamer (speaking of shirts) and the wet cloth idea.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    We have basically the same humidity issues here in Toronto as you , you will find the wet cloth method to be great.
    You could also steam the paper from the back just before you apply the cloth as well.

problem should go away.

Quote Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
    Thanks, Bob! I'll give that a try. My apartment gets dry in the winter due to the heating, so I'll try a fabric steamer (speaking of shirts) and the wet cloth idea.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have the same problem. It was suggested to me by several fellow APPUGers that after the prints come out of the dryer, place them under some heavy books for a day or two. I tried that with the prints under a sheet of matte board and it worked like a champ. It is always the edges and they can be a bummer. Don
    Negatives are forever. Memory sticks till the end of the week.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin