Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,580   Online: 880

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree... mix it yourself.... most of the "bought" toners use way too weak a bleach to really do a good job on toning. I like a good strong bleach. But suit yourself. Mix the bleach as you like and you will shortly come to a mixture that will provide you with just what you want for pennies. Then tone to just the color you want.

Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whlogan View Post
    I agree... mix it yourself.... most of the "bought" toners use way too weak a bleach to really do a good job on toning. I like a good strong bleach. But suit yourself. Mix the bleach as you like and you will shortly come to a mixture that will provide you with just what you want for pennies. Then tone to just the color you want.

Logan
    The Moersch toners come with a very concentrated bleach. I dilute it 1:30 or it's difficult for me to control.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    The Moersch toners come with a very concentrated bleach. I dilute it 1:30 or it's difficult for me to control.
    That is correct. I also keep a 1+100 dilution on hand as well as 1+50.

Someday soon I will start mixing my own but for now I like the ease of use of the Moersch chemicals.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I went ahead and ordered the moersch kit. At the moment I don't have a good scale and I didn't want to deal with the DEA form necessary to get thiorea.

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    One more quick question: I may as well invest in the proper safety equipment. I do intend to do this outside, but assume I should still use a mask and goggles. Is a paper mask ok or do I need a good respirator? What type do people use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mexipike View Post
    One more quick question: I may as well invest in the proper safety equipment. I do intend to do this outside, but assume I should still use a mask and goggles. Is a paper mask ok or do I need a good respirator? What type do people use?
    Neither a mask nor a respirator will work against a gas. Sodium sulfide solutions are quite alkaline almost as much as sodium hydroxide. So I would recommend safety glasses and rubber gloves. Working outdoors or with good ventilation should be OK. The only risk from hydrogen sulfide is using it in enclosed darkrooms which usually have poor ventilation.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-14-2014 at 03:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was recommending the mask when mixing powders, as stated above it won't help for the gases, that's why you do it outside

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I'm trying to decide which sepia toner to order. The look I'm gong for is nice sepia warm shadows with cool shadows. From everything I've read here it seems like a quick bleach followed by a little time in sepia then Selenium will do the trick.

The problem being I can't figure out which Sepia to order!

From what I've read sodium sulfite toners stink and are more likely to fog papers and thioreau toners are probably what I would want. Seems simple enough, except that none of the product description of the toners available online list if they are thioreau or not. The sodium sulfite ones state that they are sodium sulfite but I dnt want to assume the non sodium sulfite ones are the thiorea.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. I'm leaning towards photographers formulary products.
    There are no sodium sulfite toners. There are sodium sulfide toners, and they are worth the odor. Don't do a "quick" bleach if you want to get full advantage of the process. Bleach it completely ,and then redevelop in the developer of choice.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if you prefer a slight warming over the deep brownsepia toning, you are better of withdirect toning in Viradon or Kodak Brown toner,inother words, no bleach first.works well as a split toner with selenium too.unfortunately both toners are harder to get these days,but, you may get the chemicals to mix your own.
    Attached Files
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't want to deal with the DEA form necessary to get thiorea.
    I got my Thiourea from Artcraft Chemicals with no DEA paperwork needed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin