Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,449   Online: 1179

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    There are no sodium sulfite toners. There are sodium sulfide toners, and they are worth the odor. Don't do a "quick" bleach if you want to get full advantage of the process. Bleach it completely ,and then redevelop in the developer of choice.
    Can't seem to edit my post so people will stop pointing out my spelling error. Sorry!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Moersch MT3 is excellent

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Viradon (what I have left) and KBT. Flow is Se toner -> wash -> polysulfide toner.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    So I got my Moersch kit in the mail today and the instructions are pretty good but left with me two questions:

1.) The instructions list amounts of Toner and Controller to use with what amount of water. However the three bottles included are one which is labeled Bleach and the other two are both labeled Toner, with all other writing in German. Which one is Toner and which is Controller, one is bigger than the other?

2.) Can you make up a reusable working solution with all of the chemicals? My guess is yes, except maybe now with the bleach.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Take a look at the website of Wolfgang Moersch http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/co...ner/47/lang:en
    I'm sure you will find all the info you need right there.

tim

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would suggest you use a sodium sulfide tone, mixed yourself as others have suggested and tone the print outside.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mexipike View Post
    So I got my Moersch kit in the mail today and the instructions are pretty good but left with me two questions:

1.) The instructions list amounts of Toner and Controller to use with what amount of water. However the three bottles included are one which is labeled Bleach and the other two are both labeled Toner, with all other writing in German. Which one is Toner and which is Controller, one is bigger than the other?

2.) Can you make up a reusable working solution with all of the chemicals? My guess is yes, except maybe now with the bleach.
    Hi Mike - the Controller is the alkali - sodium hydroxide/potassium carbonate soln' - the Toner is the Thiourea

Yes, you can. If you go to Moersch Photo Chemie you can find his tutorials under the given chemistry:
    http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/co...f08508d1e1228c

I think it's listed for the working soln' I do mine in small amounts. I think the shelf life is at least 6 months but it should be listed on his site.

Have fun. I just ordered another batch myself.

Yes, like Clive said make sure you tone outside. and don't dump the stuff in the sewage..!
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, like Clive said make sure you tone outside. and don't dump the stuff in the sewage..!
    However, traditional sulfide toners are easily dumpable in the sewer - seeing as the sewer is primarily comprised of tons of hydrogen sulfide. :-)
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    So far I have been enjoying the results I'm getting with the Moersch kit, however it's been a bit of a pain to tone in the cold since it has been so cold here (at least cold to a Texan!) I do find the toxicity a little frustrating.Tomorrow I'm going to try Ilford Warm Tone in Selenium and see if I get something I like and could maybe skip the sepia.

One question: I made a print tonight fixed, washed, then bleached right to the mid tones. When I took it to the toner my highlights never really reappeared, I got some of the lighter mid tones back but lost the near white highlights. Was there possibly just not enough density in the highlights to get them back after bleaching?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm reviving this thread as I now have Tim Rudman's toning book. As far as I can tell moersch st3 is a Thiocarbamide or thioreau sepia toner. To quote the book:
    "These Thiocarbamide toners have two advantages:
    Firstly, they don't smell, so they won't fog your films."

Yet everyone seems to say I should use it outside and it will fog paper etc.
    is this based on new information?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin