Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,435   Online: 969

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    It all comes from the Formulary. Nobody else makes it except some high school student in Europe that we haven't heard from in a while.
    Ahh, but you see, I'm a silent lurker
    Yep, I refined the process of making glycin, and got nice yields. You haven't heard from me, because I have been applying to college and I got caught up on other tasks and projects. However, since I do plan on studying chemistry and actually making a living from it, you may expect some interesting announcements in the not-so-immediate future (think at least one or two years )
    PM me if you want details, help, or anything else. I'll try to reply in due time.

Nick

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hmmm... ever since our local chem supply house down the street closed, I've gotten all my glycin from Formulary, along with other things;
    but the shipping has never seemed unreasonable. Glycin doesn't keep well once it starts oxidizing, so I always store an extra sealed bottle in
    the freezer. It starts out light tan, and the actual subtleties of printing change as it itself oxidizes and turns color. That's one of the wonderful
    things about it, up until it is a rather deep mocha or light chocolate color. Once it turns almost black, it will stain the whole paper like tea,
    so get unusable for me. It typically takes well over a year for an opened bottle to oxidize that badly. But you will want to purchase the containers in a realistic size container relative to your pace of mixing it. Sometimes it better to have several small sealed bottles on hand rather than a bulk amt.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Wow. I buy a couple pounds at a time and keep it in the freezer..It stays nice and white for me. Just opened ome after 6 months or so and it's perfect.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It lasts for years in the freezer.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yes, in the freezer. That's the key. Otherwise, it starts oxidizing in a fashion which can be monitored by the gradual shift in color.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bernard_L View Post
    moersch-photochemie.de/moersch/webroot/files/SUVATLAR%20Preisliste%20online%202013.pdf

I suppose the shipping costs EU-US are as high as US-EU... too bad
    I think Moersch sells Glycin from Montana. Has an exorbitant price of $144.16 for 100 grams. Photographers Formulary price is $18.95 per 100 grams. Moersch price is over 7 times higher. Even with shipping costs it is still better for Germans to buy in Montana. More, this folks will tell you, when they will have a fresh batch and will hold your order till then, so you will have it as fresh as possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    I'm puzzled. I lb from Formulary is $79. Shipping is $20.20 to Texas. What is the problem?
    I'd throw 12oz of it out when it went bad.
    I use about 100g/year. The initial quote for shipping was something like $13. to me, that's about 3x what it would cost me to ship it back to them. too me that's high. Artcraft's shipping is very reasonable.

good to know about the freezer storage, I hadn't heard that.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I buy Formulary chemicals, but not directly from them. I usually get them from Freestyle, but lately from Adorama also. Adorama has 100 gram bottles of glycin in stock, and their base price is about the same as the Formulary. Also, Freestyle and Adorama don't demand copies of photo ID and a "DEA form" for some chemicals like the Formulary does.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
    I buy Formulary chemicals, but not directly from them. I usually get them from Freestyle, but lately from Adorama also. Adorama has 100 gram bottles of glycin in stock, and their base price is about the same as the Formulary. Also, Freestyle and Adorama don't demand copies of photo ID and a "DEA form" for some chemicals like the Formulary does.
    that's what I'm talking about! cheaper product and only $3.75 to ship.
    thanks, too bad I already placed my order with formulary.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you buy a few dozen/hundred bottles like Adorama or B&H, I'll bet your shipping comes down to about the same as theirs per unit. Its not like you're punishing them by not buying it direct, dealing with high volume buyers is probably better for their bottom line anyway.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin