Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,721   Online: 790

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ate some 20 minutes ago after rinsing them in vinegar/water 1:3 and then removing the vinegar with distilled water rinse. I'm still kickin'...

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Weird, I know. I made up a gallon of Kodak Hypo clearing agent and stored it in empty Heinz White Vinegar bottles, adding my own label that it contained HCA and required dilution. So I go buy some red grapes; our standard practice is to rinse fruit in tap water to get rid of dirt etc, then place in vinegar diluted 1:3 with water for about a minute, then rinse off the vinegar with distilled water. (Maybe I should not I do all this because I'm in Pakistan and these are grapes right off the vine.)

You can guess what happened: my wife thought my HCA was vinegar, and used went through the process using HCA instead of vinegar.

Looking at the HCA MSDS, it's clear that you shouldn't drink HCA, but neither does it seem to be really bad stuff (sodium sulfite and sodium bisulfite).

Obviously I can toss the grapes and start all over again, but I'm curious about the fundamental question if grapes rinsed in diluted HCA would be harmful to one's health. Any thoughts?
    this is the one case where i would not cut washing time in half after HCA.
    as |I always saydon't store photochemicalsin food containers;otherwise there will be a mix up eventually
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Many years ago we made a hiking trip in the mountains. On the last day we had no drinking water left. But a small amount of petrol in a beer bottle. Everybody was said, this ist petrol, be carful. But you guess what happened nevertheless. (Nothing real fatal happened, but it was not enjoyable for the person who drunk a bit of petrol)

Since this time I never store chemicals in food containers.

~

Once I eat a small amount of henna which my wife left in the kitchen. I thought it was spinach. Tasts bitter.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Medium Format

HCA Great for food

I use it over sliced apples to keep them from turning brown and mushy.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ever get the feeling of deja vu http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6...-sulphite.html?

Murray Minchin's post in that thread (#6) is one of my all time APUG favourites.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    HCA is primarily sodium sulfite, a food preservative. It might also have other chemicals as well, but I would trust Koch's response. Rinse briefly in pure water. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Why is your wife rinsing grapes in the darkroom, or why are you storing photochemicals in food bottles in the kitchen without telling your family? That is the real question here.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Ate some 20 minutes ago after rinsing them in vinegar/water 1:3 and then removing the vinegar with distilled water rinse. I'm still kickin'...
    Well we saturate out french fries (and battered fish) in neat vinegar and then eat them (fish and chips is an English delicacy).

The live beer we drink is pumped from barrels in the pub cellar and the lines (pipes) are left for an interval with sterilizing fluid, sometimes daily, they pump the sterilizing fluid out with water or beer so the first pint may have some contaminant, which they discard... Think they use sodium metabisuphite...

Pint anyone?

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Why is your wife rinsing grapes in the darkroom, or why are you storing photochemicals in food bottles in the kitchen without telling your family? That is the real question here.
    How many times has it been discussed:food bottles reused in the darkroom vs bottles purchase for chemical storage both being safe.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I only handle wet photo chemicails with rubber gloves and only use PQ soups and Rodinal, with powders face mask.

The cyclic hydrocarbons are pretty dangerous, e.g. if you are sensitized by metol you will be sorry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin