Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,654   Online: 900

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Rinsed grapes in Hypo Clearing Agent -- OK to eat?

Weird, I know. I made up a gallon of Kodak Hypo clearing agent and stored it in empty Heinz White Vinegar bottles, adding my own label that it contained HCA and required dilution. So I go buy some red grapes; our standard practice is to rinse fruit in tap water to get rid of dirt etc, then place in vinegar diluted 1:3 with water for about a minute, then rinse off the vinegar with distilled water. (Maybe I should not I do all this because I'm in Pakistan and these are grapes right off the vine.)

You can guess what happened: my wife thought my HCA was vinegar, and used went through the process using HCA instead of vinegar.

Looking at the HCA MSDS, it's clear that you shouldn't drink HCA, but neither does it seem to be really bad stuff (sodium sulfite and sodium bisulfite).

Obviously I can toss the grapes and start all over again, but I'm curious about the fundamental question if grapes rinsed in diluted HCA would be harmful to one's health. Any thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Wash for thirty minutes ensuring at least five complete changes of water, 30 seconds in photo-flo....

I have no idea
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looking at the MSDS info you posted, I wouldn't worry.

Quite ironic that you used HCA to wash grapes - sulphites are used as preservatives (often in wine), and bisulphite is used to prevent loss of colour and oxidation in wines, and also to sterilise brewing equipment!
    Cheers,

Jim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sure. eat them and if you don't post the results, we'll know it wasn't a good idea.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do a residual fixer test on them first.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This sounds similar to the "drink me" bottle in Alice in Wonderland.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a chemist I really wouldn't worry about it. Just rinse them briefly in water.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks, everyone -- and it's nice to have Gerald as a chemist weigh in. And wildbill, I love your answer -- too true!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, if you don't eat them all they should at least last a lot longer in the fridge.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Thanks, everyone -- and it's nice to have Gerald as a chemist weigh in. And wildbill, I love your answer -- too true!
    Yep, you're on your way to archival permanence.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin