Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,010   Posts: 1,633,660   Online: 1171

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Kodak Tri-X in 24 exp, or 36 exp rolls?

This may sound stupid, but I can't decide whether to buy Kodak Tr-X in 24 exposure rolls or 36? Economically it's a no brainer: Freestyle Photo has the 24 exp rolls for $3.99, and the 36 exp rolls for $4.39. So if I bought 50 rolls of the 24 exp stuff it would cost me $199.50 (not counting shipping) and I'd get 1200 frames. On the other hand, 50 rolls of the 36 exp stuff would cost me just $19.50 more, but I'd get 1800 frames, or 600 more frames this way for the $19.50.

So why would I buy the 24 exposure rolls? I dunno, but I might. A lot of the time the 24 exposure rolls are easier to load on the reels. Plus, I don't always go out and shoot 36 exposures in one day, so a roll of that can take several days to shoot. With the 24 exposure stuff I generally shoot that in one day and come home and develop it right away. Does anyone else think it's better to just buy the 36 exposure rolls because of the better value?

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's nothing easier about loading 24exp onto reels vs 36. If there's a problem with loading it'll be found early. Then again I'm thinking of stainless reels - which is what God intended, of course. You should definitely go with 36exp rolls - less wastage all around.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you want "both" get a few of each, OR buy a bulk roll and roll the amount of frames you want

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How many shots do you typically take in a session? This should determine whether to buy 24 or 36 exp rolls.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If economy is a major concern then why not a 100 foot bulk roll? You can put as much or as little film in a cassette (within limits) as you want.
    Otherwise, to address your question, I like 24's, for the reasons you've stated, takes less time to finish a roll.
    I buy both and grab a 36 if I know I'll be shooting a lot, and use 24's otherwise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I mostly shoot 36-exposure rolls, but often I'll pull a roll without making all the exposures. Thereby wasting some film. There are times that I'm pretty sure I won't be shooting 36 images. So in those cases, I'll put in a 24-exposure roll.

What I do is I'll order maybe 20 or 25 36-exposure rolls and 5 24-exposure rolls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hehe, in my "old age" I find 36 is a lot of exposures unless I'm pursuing a major project (in which case I might not be using 35mm). That said, it also seems fewer films are offered in shorter rolls lately.

So I'd say it depends on your working habits and whether or not you object to waiting until you finish a second project before viewing results of the first. There's the option of course to use a burst or two of "spray and pray" somewhere to use up the roll which negates some of the savings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I often open the back partway through a roll, cut off the exposed portion, and save the remaining film for another day. Not a problem when doing your own processing.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    How many shots do you typically take in a session? This should determine whether to buy 24 or 36 exp rolls.
    This is how I decide, and it has been a good method for many years.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Less pondering, more shooting.

Just bulk load. Easy enough that anyone can do it. You save a bundle. And you can shoot a 5 frame roll if you feel the urge.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin