Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,777   Online: 915

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 5222 film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4x5 5222 film

Just received this message about 5222 film supply:

Greetings Dennis;Thank you for inquiring about Kodak Double X cine film cut to 4x5. Eastman Kodak and Kodak Alaris have agreed to take on the challenge of cutting the cinematography film Double X into 4x5 sheet. Because of the R&D involved in this venture and the fact that Kodak has no guarantee that all the R&D will not result in more then just this one order, the cost of the film this first time out is very high. The original estimate that I put on the film was $100.00 for a 50 sheet box, and the reality turned out to be $300.00 for that 50 sheet box. Even with the film being expensive there has been a great response. Some people who originally committed to the order have dropped out. This is not surprising with the cost factor, but this is not the majority. I only need 11 more boxes to reach the minimum order quantity. (MOQ) This is a chance for us to make film history. Eastman Kodak has never cut cinemtography film into sheets before. If this goes well this time out, the cost will come down, and a new emulsion will be available to sheet film users. This is also an opportunity for us to send a message to Eastman Kodak and Kodak Alaris that it is good for them to think outside the box. To become involved in this co-op I need from you the following: Your shipping address, The number of boxes you want, and whether you would like to pay by credit card or by check. The $300.00 price stated earlier is the check, (cash) price. The credit card price is $309.00. With this information I can send you an invoice for payment. When I have reached the MOQ and collected all the payments for the film I will place the order with Kodak Alaris. It should take about 10 to 12 weeks from the date of order until the film arrives. Thank you for your support for special order Kodak films.Regards;Keith CanhamOwner: K. B. Canham Cameras, Inc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I've seen a lot of talk about Double X film lately, and I've never really understood what the appeal of it is compared to something like Tri-X? Does it have special characteristics of some sorts (bear in mind, I know very little of the film itself).

Anyway, it's great that Kodak are trying to introduce a "new" film product, even if the price seems a little high.
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hey dances, there's already a thread about this, I actually started the whole thing, contacted Keith and we got the ball rolling, no one had ever asked before I had but it seems quite a few have gotten excited by this, it's one of Kodak's best films. Less than 10 boxes before we make the order so you better hurry

Here's the thread...

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/124674-special-order-eastman-double-x-4x5-sheet.html
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I've seen a lot of talk about Double X film lately, and I've never really understood what the appeal of it is compared to something like Tri-X? Does it have special characteristics of some sorts (bear in mind, I know very little of the film itself).

Anyway, it's great that Kodak are trying to introduce a "new" film product, even if the price seems a little high.
    Hey Cyber,

It's not so much that Kodak was trying to introduce it, it's that we collectively requested kodak do it.

And yes it does have a very special quality, it's hard to exactly describe, there's a guy who re-rolls it (Rapakpan) who you can snag a few rolls from to try it out in 35mm if you want.

It's a movie film, so it already has a fairly thick and strong base, which is the only reason Kodak could consider cutting it for sheet film.

It's the last B&W movie film Kodak still makes. It's really great for people, (since movies are often about people haha) and gives the actor a sort of "glow" it essentially seems to bump up skin tones and compresses highlights and bumps up shadows but keeps blacks BLACK which is really great.

It's rated differently for Daylight than Tungsten which tells you something right there about it's spectral sensitivity.

Anyway I used this image as the example of how it just makes people look great

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390467544.624270.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	277.5 KB 
ID:	80711

But even crappy shots of goofs like my best friend (right) and I (left) look good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390467592.144755.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	262.6 KB 
ID:	80712

Anyway like I said there's less than 10 boxes left to be ordered so there's not much time left
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Greaaat, now I definitely need to buy a can..
    Now how to load it..

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

Stone is abstract
    There is a considerable number of still camera people who use it from 400 foot or 1000 foot cans.
    It is a low contrast film in D76 or D96 at 250ISO.
    320ISO in Microphen for 7 mins still soft working.

Some take it to 3200!

It is not tabular grain but fine for its speed nearer to plusx than trix but may be softer working than trix at 320.

It is thicker base than normal so stick at 33 frames per cassette unless in concentric cassettes like IXMOO.

It dries flat.

It may be unhappy in the hassebladpano wides cause it uses cine cam sprocket holes.

Google 5222 or Double-X

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    Greaaat, now I definitely need to buy a can..
    Now how to load it..
    The minimalist way is

changing bag
    daylight loader
    100 foot cine reel
    100 foot can
    last two you get with normal bulk from Fuji or Agfa or buy from eBay.

load above into cbag remove tape from 5222 can and place carefully in cbag, zip up.

remove top part of can the film is on a core and taped, remove tape, and pull out end sideways thread into spool and wind unto spool keeping run from core to spool flat.

after 40 mins the spooL will be full snip with scissors load into loader close loader replace top part of 400foot can open bag and reseal can.

the 100 foot can is if you get stuck...

my chum dropped 400 foot into bath in dark be careful

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    People seem to have not read the full letter where it states 4x5 film not the 35mm bulk rolls. I have used this film before in 35mm but the cost of the 4x5 seems to be quite unreasonable. What I found was the film was good but NOT that good that I can justify a $ 309 purchase for 50 shts.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    People seem to have not read the full letter where it states 4x5 film not the 35mm bulk rolls. I have used this film before in 35mm but the cost of the 4x5 seems to be quite unreasonable. What I found was the film was good but NOT that good that I can justify a $ 309 purchase for 50 shts.
    we are all sad for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    we are all sad for you.
    ?

why are you sad for him ..
    lots of people don't have the $$$
    to spend on the most expensive b/w film ever ..

(sorry stone)
    good luck with the 11!
    im empty, good luck

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin