Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,788   Online: 919

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I'm not sure it has ever been available commercially. It is easy to make...just 2 teaspoons of metol and four tablespoons of sodium sulfite dissolved in a quart (or a liter, doesn't really matter) of warm water.
    Many years ago, I recall a talk at our school camera club by a very elderly gentleman whose speciality was architectural and church photography, and I can still remember his prints, never seen any better of similar subjects since.

I remember he used Ilford glass plates and D23...his formula was similar, "teaspoon of Metol and handful of sodium sulphite in a pint of water"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure it has ever been available commercially. It is easy to make...just 2 teaspoons of metol and four tablespoons of sodium sulfite dissolved in a quart (or a liter, doesn't really matter) of warm water.
    US and Imperial quarts are considerably different in size.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it possible to use phenidone instead of metol, say 1.5 g of phenidone vs 7.5 g of metol?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No. You cannot simply substitute Metol and Phenidone in single-agent formulas such as D-23. On their own these two developing agents are very different in their working characteristics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    You can mix 2 level teaspoons of Metol and 4 tablespoons of sodium sulfite in a liter of water and will never know the difference. A standard teaspoon is 5 ml and a tablespoon is 15 ml, just in case we're different over here.
    This is the "recipe" I have used when mixing it without a scale. I have a nice set of stainless spoons that are easy to level without smooshing the ingredients. I believe consistency and keeping things dry through proper storage are key.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    US and Imperial quarts are considerably different in size.
    yeah...why is that? My working theory is that the brits "invented" a new definition of quart so that the could have more beer when they ordered a pint....

seriously though, I doubt that it would matter much in this case...especially if one were consistent.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Is it possible to use phenidone instead of metol, say 1.5 g of phenidone vs 7.5 g of metol?
    The usual rule of thumb is to substitute phenidone for metol at a ratio of about 1/10. So typically one would substitute about 0.75 g of phenidone for 7.5 g of Metol.

However:
    Even if substituted at the "usual and customary" ratio, I think you would be terribly disappointed by the result. Read about POTA to find out why.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Michael and Brad. The idea behind my queastion is that phenidone seems to be less harmful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yeah...why is that? My working theory is that the brits "invented" a new definition of quart so that the could have more beer when they ordered a pint....

seriously though, I doubt that it would matter much in this case...especially if one were consistent.
    A 20% difference is fairly substantial.

According to wikipedia, the US gallon owes its origin to measurements involving wine, while the imperial gallon owes its origins to measurements involving ale.

In both cases, the respective quarts are 1/4 of their related gallons.

Makes sense to me!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Thanks Michael and Brad. The idea behind my queastion is that phenidone seems to be less harmful.
    Unless you are one of the rare individuals that is sensitive to Metol the developing agent is safe provided you don't eat it. With some individuals skin contact can cause a form of dermatitis. However if you have never experienced this with other Metol developers there is not to worry about.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin