Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,923   Posts: 1,584,992   Online: 1101

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

When Do You Remove the Paper?

Question: For those who develop 120 rolls of film, when do you remove the paper backing? Before or after loading the film onto the reel? I'm not sure what way is best and I end up cutting it off after I have loaded the film onto the reel. One roll I cut off part of the last frame and I'm not sure how I managed to do that. Perhaps my paper removing method is not optimized.

Thanks for any tips!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Question: For those who develop 120 rolls of film, when do you remove the paper backing? Before or after loading the film onto the reel? I'm not sure what way is best and I end up cutting it off after I have loaded the film onto the reel. One roll I cut off part of the last frame and I'm not sure how I managed to do that. Perhaps my paper removing method is not optimized.

Thanks for any tips!
    I remove the paper first by peeling the tape from the paper and folding it over the end of the film. That taped end is easier to load into the reel.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I remove the paper first by peeling the tape from the paper and folding it over the end of the film. That taped end is easier to load into the reel.
    I agree.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    unroll the film till you get to the loos end. hang a 1" spring clip "A clamp" on that end. adds weight and keeps the film under control. rip off paper
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Watch out and don't peel the tape too fast--it makes sparks. Nice and slow does it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I let it fall away as I put the film on the reel then tear it off when the film is all loaded. Yes, slowly to avoid static sparks. I like keeping it all on the spool until it gets to the reel because I'm fairly sure I'd drop the film on the floor if I took it off the spool sooner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I let it fall away as I put the film on the reel then tear it off when the film is all loaded. Yes, slowly to avoid static sparks. I like keeping it all on the spool until it gets to the reel because I'm fairly sure I'd drop the film on the floor if I took it off the spool sooner.
    I'm with you.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Me too.

I change film in a changing bag so dropping it on the floor is not an issue, and I find it easier to deal with just the film, rather than the film with the paper trailing behind it, in such an enclosed space.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is my method,
    I cup the spool in one hand, then pull the paper with the other, while pulling, my thumb on the hand holding the spool is riding on the film side of the paper. This separates the film from the paper and leaves you holding the rolled up film in one hand, the paper in the other. When you get to the tape tear (at the joint between the paper and the film) or peel it as you like. With practice, you can do this in one motion.

Then load from the taped end as described.

Letting it fall free in a curly strip risks getting kinks or scratches, though it's not a big risk. It also ensures it won't drag on the floor.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin