Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,463   Online: 835

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Acutance and Grit with D76 and D23 on FP4 and Tri-X

How can I reach to controlled acutance with D76 and D23 ? And How can I control for higher acutance at for example shadows especially ? I will try to use a Leica Mini Zoom Vario Elmar 35-70 and Olympus XA if I need to change the asa setting , not possible with Leica, I will use Ilford FP4 and Tri X. and I will try to take dark images in shadows. I want to see the gritty noise with high acutance distributed in the deep and highs of bones of human hands for example.

Can you give me asa settings , development times , tempereatures and dilutions ?

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Acutance is not the same as grit ("grit" is usually just pronounced grain). Read some good sources about acutance and how it has been defined over time. To increase graininess, use a fast film with big grain, increase exposure, increase development and use a developer with a higher pH or low sulfite, or both. If you want to use D76 or D23, dilute them.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hello Michael,

I want grit and acutance together.

I would suggest using Rodinal. Sharp, gritty grain when used with Tri-X in the right way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Acutance" has several components, including edge effects. If you want exaggerated edge effects, try a dilute Metol developer with minimal agitation. However it is difficult to generalize. Different films respond differently to different developers. This is a highly complex subject with many variables.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Does reticulation give a acutance effect or the acutance effect is totally different ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    First, I can't speak for your Leica Mini, but I have own several Olympus XA cameras. My wife bought me one when they first came out and I loved the design and ease of pocket carry. As for picture quality? I was never satisfied with any of the samples I had until I had a aperture setting of between f8-f11. My Minox 35EL and Rollei 35 with Tessar were always better. Now, that's just my opinion and I'm sure others will tell you different, but that's exactly why I tried several different XA's. Very nice design, but not great at wider f-stops. The only reason I point this out is that you seem to be wanting something the XA might not be able to deliver. If you are just wanting "snappy" picture of 5x7 size it might be alright, but going beyond that I think would be on the edge. I have had some very nice landscape shots at 11x14 from the XA on a tripod at f11. I said nice, but not what I would call "razor" sharp. For easy carry, sharp-snappy shots I prefer the Minox 35's or my Rollei 35's. Like I said earlier, that's just my opinion. Gritting noise - high acutance (look) would have to be something like Rodinal at 1:25 - 1:50 or D-23 with 65-70 grams of Sodium Sulfite instead of 100 grams. Do some testing and you'll find what you need. Have fun, John

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Acutance and Grit with D76 and D23 on FP4 and Tri-X

HP5+ or Tri-X in Rodinal 1:50 with aggressive agitation should do it...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Does reticulation give a acutance effect or the acutance effect is totally different ?
    NO! they are completely different.
    Last edited by BradS; 01-26-2014 at 04:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If I was going to do what it seems to me you want to do is first I would shoot on 35mm Kodak Tmax 3200 or Ilford Delta 3200 and I would process the film in beutlers or Rodinal 1-100 and I would process it so that it needs a contrast boost in printing. Then I would print it on a high contrast setting with VC paper.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin