Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,570   Posts: 1,545,480   Online: 1235

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Use D76 works great for 4x5 film

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    So putting a developer in a tray somehow makes it different?
    I never said that. The fact is that most of the Gevaert developers were formulated when LF was the norm. Later on more sofisticated developers came to the market (Windish, Beutler,...) designed primarily for roll film, but LF was still being developed in the old formulae, hence my question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Use D76 works great for 4x5 film

Dave
    I already have my favourite.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    I never said that.
    My point was that the book's author seems to be making an artificial distinction between developer formulations. My comment was not directed toward you. As I said, hard to tell without having access to the chapter.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use exactly the same pyro developer options for 35mm film as for 8x10 sheet film, but could use something as common as D76 for either if I
    wanted to. Sometimes there are reasons to use specialized developers to optimize extremely fine-grained miniature camera films, but there is
    really no warranted distinction between other film sizes. The nice thing about large format is that you generally don't need to enlarge the original nearly as much, so can concentrate more on tonality or speed when choosing a film and developer combination, and worry less about
    things like grain per se. So in this respect, you have even more developer options when working with large format, not less.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    My point was that the book's author seems to be making an artificial distinction between developer formulations.
    This could very well be the case, but perhaps we agree that dedicated developers exist. And that LF generally calls for a higher beta, and also that shorter times are benefical for the operator developing in trays. The author of the book speeks about these properties.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I use exactly the same pyro developer options for 35mm film as for 8x10 sheet film, but could use something as common as D76 for either if I
    wanted to. Sometimes there are reasons to use specialized developers to optimize extremely fine-grained miniature camera films, but there is
    really no warranted distinction between other film sizes. The nice thing about large format is that you generally don't need to enlarge the original nearly as much, so can concentrate more on tonality or speed when choosing a film and developer combination, and worry less about
    things like grain per se. So in this respect, you have even more developer options when working with large format, not less.
    True, but most of the pyro developers were reformulated to suite rhe current films in use.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Wander over to the Large Format Forum and it will be abundantly apparent that we large format practitioners have long used many types of film
    and developers, will continue to argue over the merits of our favorite methods, and that almost nothing of what you describe is necessarily correct with respect to typical practice. There are even many different ways of tray processing, which will in turn affect the specific outcome.
    Film keep changing, developers too, but all kinds of combinations of new and old themes coexist. A pyro formula from the 1930's could be made
    to work just as well today. But now we know about even more options.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin