Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,856   Online: 994

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dedicated LF developers

There use to be many developers dedicated mainly for LF film. Kodak D 19, Gevaert G.201 are known for their brilliance, G.215 is a soft working developer,... They are all quite fast working which was beneficial when tray developing was the norm. They are not of the fine grain type but that shouldn't be priority when shooting LF. I wonder is there still a reason to favour these old formulae?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    D19 is a particularly high contrast developer, I used it for b&w reversal for that very reason. I don't think it is specifically "known for it's brilliance" or ever preferred for LF use ?
    Where is it suggested that it (or any of the others) are "LF" developers ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Where is it suggested that it (or any of the others) are "LF" developers ?
    In one of the books on photography I have, from 1960.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While some developers are more suited to MF and LF films because they tend to emphasize grain I would say that it is erroneous to characterize them as "large format developers." In fact this idea turns the common definition of developers on its head. What is usually done is to say that there are general purpose developers and those more suitable for miniature camera use.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-27-2014 at 12:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    The well known Kodak D-72 was even a so called universal developer. It could be adjusted by the dilution to paper, sheet film or roll-film. But for small formats (120 or 135) it was too contrasty and grainy, for real large formats like 4 x 5" or 8 x 10" it was o.k.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How a developer is used also has an effect. DK-50 would be considered a MF/LF type developer. However when diluted 1+4 with the Kodalk concentration restored to its original concentration it is an acutance developer suitable for 35mm film.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    While some developers are more suited to MF and LF films because they tend to emphasize grain I would say that it is erroneous to characterize them as "large format developers." In fact this idea turns the common definition of developers on its head. What is usually done is to say that there are general purpose developers and those more suitable for miniature camera use.
    To be more exact there is a capater in the book I'm referring to about tray/dish development. Roll film development is covered in anothe chapter, giving formulae for D76, Various Agfa developers (8, 14, 15, 17,...), Atomal, Adox MQ, Be-Be, Windish 665, Sease 3, etc, and explainig their characteristics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    T-max RS=sheet film developer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    T-max RS=sheet film developer
    Not particularly old, is it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    To be more exact there is a capater in the book I'm referring to about tray/dish development. Roll film development is covered in anothe chapter, giving formulae for D76, Various Agfa developers (8, 14, 15, 17,...), Atomal, Adox MQ, Be-Be, Windish 665, Sease 3, etc, and explainig their characteristics.
    So putting a developer in a tray somehow makes it different? From the little that you say above the chapter appears to be more about development technique than any thing else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin