Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,152   Online: 1085

Shooter
    35mm

Dektol users - math question

Hello all,

I've been developing my own b/w negatives for a couple years, but just came in to a free enlarger setup so I thought I'd give printing a try. It's too tempting.

I bought kodak chemistry - dektol/fixer/indicator stop. I mixed up the dektol and fixer and realized I didn't quite follow the directions properly. I dissolved the packet (makes 1 gallon) into 3L of 95F water, fine. Then I believe my mistake was adding 800ml to that solution which actually made more than 1 gallon. I'm thinking what I should have done was added water to the mixed solution and bring the total volume up to 1 gallon. I've had 2 kids to myself while mom was out of town for work, so my mind is a bit mushy. That's my excuse anyway. And I can't be the first to do this

I feel a bit embarrassed, but wondering if that's a problem for the stock solution (maybe shelf life?).

When I mix a working batch, can I dilute slightly less to compensate? I figure the working solution is now 24 oz more, roughly, accounting for the volume of the powder (I know dry vol may be slightly different from wet vol, but I'm just estimating). So it's 152 oz total and the water-to-solution percent is now about 84% instead of about 80% for the proper mix. So 4% more water. Can I add 4% less water when making he working batch (about 5 ml) to compensate?

I also did this for the fixer too. Doh!

Am I being silly? I'm sure I'll get suggestions to buy more chemicals and mix again because they're so cheap, but if I can redeem my mistake I'd like to.

Any help would be appreciated!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sounds like your stock solution may not be off by too much. You will be fine. Dektol is diluted 1+2 for use anyway so it will work out just fine. Just Dilute it a little less when mixing up the working solution and you will be golden. Don't worry about the fixer - just use as is and learn from you minor error and don't worry. It will be fine...HAVE FUN!

Shooter
    35mm
    That's what I was thinking, so I guess was reasoning was sound. Thanks for the assurance! I'll go ahead expose something and give it a shot.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Dilution rates for Dektol range from 1:1 to 1:3, depending on the printer's preference. At 1:3, I develop the print for three minutes instead of two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    print away!! let the wonders begin!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with everyone above, I think you are fine and I also don't think you will notice any shorter life of the stock solution. The stock solution starts to go off when there is a lot of air in the bottle ( for me it's usually when the bottle is nearly empty. ) I'm just finishing a bottle now, it's got an inch of dektol left in the bottom, and only the slightest hint of yellow... it works fine. BTW I routinely use dektol at 1:3 ( and develop for 2m 15s instead of 1m 45s ) and sometimes 1:4. I keep a liter bottle of "working solution 1:2" and it keeps very well too as long as there isn't much air.

Have fun!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Glad to hear everyone agrees! Your responses are much appreciated. We'll see how it goes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You will be fine enough. If you're worried, slightly extend your development time.

You could always measure your total stock solution and figure out how much more than a US gallon it is. If for example you're 5% too dilute than use 5% more stock solution than you would have used if you got it right, and add slightly less water to get to your original total working solution.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin