Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,279   Online: 855

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Mat or Gloss printing paper

I know people usually have a preference for one or the other. I prefer gloss, as it gives deaper blacks. Do you have a preference?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer Mat because the image is almost part of the paper and it has better tactile quality. Don't like the look of high gloss paper it's too plasticky imo. Behind a glass frame the advantages of deeper blacks for glossy paper is nullified, I'd even say a dead mat paper like Multigrade IV FB gets deeper blacks. RC paper looks disgusting in both mat and glossy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer glossy, either FB or RC.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I prefer FB glossy dried as semi-gloss (i.e not ferrotyped, which has long been out of fashion)). IMO RC glossy looks even worse than ferrotyped FB glossy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    I prefer Mat because the image is almost part of the paper and it has better tactile quality. Don't like the look of high gloss paper it's too plasticky imo. Behind a glass frame the advantages of deeper blacks for glossy paper is nullified, I'd even say a dead mat paper like Multigrade IV FB gets deeper blacks. RC paper looks disgusting in both mat and glossy.
    I haven't printed on mat paper since I was a kid and I never looked at them under glass. This comment makes me want to try it again. I added it to my shopping list. I've seen mat surface pictures in art museums and liked them, but don't know if they were ink jet prints or darkroom prints. Museums don't seem to differentiate anymore. They seem to label them all "photographs" nowadays. Very irritating. I noticed they still differentiate between oil and acrylic paintings, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use glossy fiber, unferrotyped, and mat or pearl RC. I only use RC for proofs and non important stuff, so it kinda doesn't matter. I'm not sure I've ever used mat fiber paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It really depends on the subject. People usually look better with matt paper while such things as cars or machinery look better with gloss.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    There is a third kind of paper in the Ilford range called Satin which despite its name is more matt than matt( usually called lustre, semi-matt, pearl) depending on the maker

This can look good but as others have said it depends on subject matter and even lighting conditions

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is all good in my book, as long as it's fiber.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use both. Depends on the subject matter. I do notice, however, that the matte surface in MGIV has a brighter white than the glossy. i.e., the glossy is warmer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin