Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,117   Online: 870

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    I haven't used the Ultrafine 100 / 120, but from what I'm reading, everyone is describing the Shanghai 100 / 120 dots-on-emulsion problem.
    It may not be Shanghai film. Lomography 'produce' their own brand black and white film called Lady Grey 400. The film is Tmax 400 but the confectioning and packing isn't done by Kodak and a great film is ruined by the same bleed through spots and numbers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonh82 View Post
    It may not be Shanghai film. Lomography 'produce' their own brand black and white film called Lady Grey 400. The film is Tmax 400 but the confectioning and packing isn't done by Kodak and a great film is ruined by the same bleed through spots and numbers.
    Could be, but it still doesn't explain the mottled emulsion. I'd guess it's a film from the Orient that was stored in some tin shed during the monsoon season. I remember being sent out to another unit when I was in Vietnam during the monsoon season. When I got back two weeks later I opened my footlocker and my leather dress boots were no longer black. Yup, just the prettiest fuzzy green you've ever seen. I'm sure film stored wrong in those conditions would start growing something. You have to use a loupe to see the growth, but it's there and in a slight enlargement it is visible in the sky area. The film works okay for camera test, but that's it. JohnW

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I only tried Ultrafine films in 35mm.

The Ultrafine Plus 100 is a rather acceptable film although it curls like hell. Grain is ok. The contrast is somehow questionable but it might be related to the Ultrafine dev chart which isn't that reliable. This film could be re-branded Lucky 100 according to the general impression.

I also tried the Ultrafine Xtreme 400 and I am rather satisfied. Grain is ok and the film is flat after drying. I would not mind shooting this film again. From most sources, this film could be re-branded Kentmere 400.

ps: concerning the Xtreme 400, there was no dev. time on the Ultrafine website and until recently nothing on the Massive Dev Chart. I had to call them up to get this info. Also there is a difference between the times given on the Massive Chart and the Ultrafine Chart concerning the Xtreme 400...

Shooter
    35mm
    From most sources, this film could be re-branded Kentmere 400.
    Please, read this: http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=741923
    My cameras:
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    Hi Ricardo.
    Thx for the link.
    I understand Kentmere isn't made out of re-badged Ilford.
    Just wondering if that doesn't eliminate the fact Ultrafine Xtreme is from Kentmere... I don't want to play smart here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't make claim to know who makes the Ultrafine Extreme 100 135mm film, but I will say this, whoever it is they are doing a fine job. I'd be willing to bet my last dollar it isn't the same company that makes the Ultrafine 100 120 film that's for sure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You just have to try a roll or two and see for yourself as Ultrafine will not indicate who makes it. I've developed these films in D76 stock solution at their recommended times, 68F, and Ilford agitation (4 inversions over the first 10 seconds, repeat every minute).

I think the following are very good films:
    Xtreme 100-135 (8 min. in D76 stock), Xtreme 400-135 (7 min. in D76 stock), Xtreme 400 in 120 (7.75 min. in
    D76 stock).

Plus 100 in 120 is very poor quality and I would never use it again.

I noticed recently that Ultrafine is now selling Xtreme 100 in 120 and I plan to try it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    Hi Ricardo.
    Thx for the link.
    I understand Kentmere isn't made out of re-badged Ilford.
    Just wondering if that doesn't eliminate the fact Ultrafine Xtreme is from Kentmere... I don't want to play smart here.
    I see what you mean: that it is Ultrafine that re-badges the film, not Harman. In this case, it might be! But, I wonder if there are some copyright infringement there as Harman wouldn't allow the re-badging of its emulsions.

This company seems to do a lot of own branding.
    I would avoid buying form them if you don't know what is inside the package.
    Better buy Ilford/Kentmere products! And in the US, they are cheaper than in the UK.
    You lucky people!
    My cameras:
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    35mm
    Ricardo, if you have the money Harman will make you your very own, personal, unique film. They will produce any special thing for anyone, but they have been very consistent that they will not sell their Ilford brand films (FP4+ etc.) as white-label products. It is certainly possible that Ultrafine purchase large orders of specially prepared and packed products from Harman. Or it might be that they are supplied by Foma, or that the 35mm is something originating further East.

I've tried the Shanghai GP3 in 120, out of curiosity, and found that the numbers can indeed transfer from the backing paper. Initially I hadn't noticed the effect, so it could be related to the ageing of the film, amongst other factors? I'm assuming that this 'feature' is not un-related to the disastrous rollfilm product mentioned above . . .

Shooter
    35mm
    Ricardo, if you have the money Harman will make you your very own, personal, unique film.
    lol! Yeap, they will!
    My cameras:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin