Had something of a breakthrough last night. I decided to try some variable grade printing for the first time to see if there was anything usable to be found in some of my under-developed negatives from the other night (see the stale Ilfosol 3 thread), and surprisingly, I got some halfway reasonable results.
These were both printed with about 10 seconds of exposure with the "00" filter and about 15 seconds with the "5" filter. I've got some better negatives to work with, and I'm going to see what I can do with those next.
I'm still a long, long way from getting the kind of prints that I want, but I'm starting to see some light at the end of this tunnel...
BTW...scanning really sux. These prints lose all of their "it" when you scan them.