Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,216   Posts: 1,532,124   Online: 1077

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They have a near monopoly on the reducing agents, although occasionally they can be obtained via eBay or through one or two of the industrial chemical suppliers who will deal with individuals. The prices are usually grossly in excess of Silverprint's, however. Possibly also true of some of the long list of Ammonium compounds and various EDTAs they list, but as I have no use for those I haven't bothered investigating them.
    One can always pick up the carbonates, sulfites, hydroxides, even things like permanganate and whatnot, as they have other common uses.

I wasn't aware of Silverprint having changed hands, but unless you have clear evidence that the new owner(s) is/are "gougers", I'd rather attribute them good intentions until proved otherwise.

Frankly, if there were fortunes to be made from flogging photo-chemicals, there'd be more competition, so I'm guessing that they sell relatively small volumes of stuff and thus they can't take advantage of volume purchases. If they can't sell in volume, they can't buy in volume; and if they can't buy in volume, they won't get volume prices themselves ... and it gets passed on to the punter. That's my guess, anyway. The US is a significantly bigger market and can support several large retailers like Freestyle, Formulary, B&S and so on - it would not surprise me if it were found that the entire UK market for photochemicals wouldn't keep the Formulary with it's current pricing and range

I've no idea who Peter Hogan is, by the way.

The thing is, it's very inconvenient and also in the end very often much more expensive to chase around buying bits and bobs from here and there. Much easier to pay a tad more and get a whole lot of things at once from Silverprint, but as I say, I was taken aback by the rather swingeing increases ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Twiss View Post
    You could give process supplies a call. However I don't think they sell Metol (surprisingly).
    +1 for process supplies.

They're also the only place I've found in the UK with Kodak E6 chemicals available individually - not in a kit.
    Cheers,

Jim.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    pdeeh, if you use enough Metol to make its price matter, you can order it from Keten in Poland for 300 Zloty (~ 75 Euro) per kilogram. They ship within EU boundaries.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    phenodine is cheaper?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    No, [Process Supplies] have reduced their range of "raw" chemicals really substantially in the past year, and they charge a small fortune for shipping chemicals as well.
    Just punched in a dummy order, and shipping is being quoted as £8.52 using their "UK Chemical Carriage" option - Not too bad for a next day service.

If you do a price comparison with some of the other sellers out there (ebay for example), the prices Silverprint charge are not extreme. For example, some ebay prices:
    Metol 50g - £16.99 (inc. shipping)
    Hydroquinone 100g - £23.50 (inc. shipping)
    Pyrogallol 25g - £16.99 (£8.75 shipping)

Purchasing raw chemicals is becoming more difficult in the UK (and across Europe). Some of it is due to tighter restrictions on storage, shipping, and sales to the "general public". Some of what can be purchased "over the counter" (and ebay) could be used to make some very unstable explosives (for example, Acetone Peroxide as used in London 2005).

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

photographic chemicals right in the kitchen

sorry for kidnaping the thread but this reminded me of an old idea. Does anyone have a list of things that can be used as photochemicals but is commonly found in the kitchen or a local grocery store
    |I try to get started:
    coffe-as developer
    citric acid-as a stop bath
    baking soda-asan accelerator
    salt- for HCAAND A MILD FIXER
    what else and for what
    ideallyI like to end up with all processing chemicals right out of the kitchen.Is that possible?
    Attached Files
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hypo from a swimming pool and accessory store. Really cheap!
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    35mm
    Your 18.96 £ is like 23.06 € Some sources in Europe :
    http://disactis.com/store/fr/83-genol-metol 100g @ 15.47€ (excl VAT) ~18.5€0 (incl VAT)
    http://moersch-photochemie.de/moersc...ine%202013.pdf 50g @ 10.59€ (incl VAT)
    http://www.keten.com.pl/reagents2 100g @ 40 zl = 9.60€ (generally very good prices)

Of course, as with any mail order purchases, you need to amortize the shipping costs. But that's peanuts compared with shipping from US.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post

Bizarrely, you can still get Potassium bichromate from them (500g at a time) without difficulty, whereas Silverprint won't sell it to an individual but only to an institution.
    The restricted chemical is Potassium Dichromate. My last attempt to buy this was from a company called Reagent in Runcorn. I had to complete a declaration form and they refused to sell it to me because I am not a business or educational establishment. Reagent are useful if you want to buy concentrated acids but charge nearly £15 for shipping. They have their own fleet of vans.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The restricted chemical is Potassium Dichromate
    If you desperately need some check out the auction site. I can see this source being shut down soon as it is significantly against the rules to ship in normal post. I stored away 100g a while ago just in case I need it in the future. As ever, don't take this chemical lightly. Read the data sheets and treat with extreme caution. It is virtually banned for a reason.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin